Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Driving from Toronto to Florida Keys!

I have a lovely 3 weeks in january to drive from toronto to anywhere hot, any reccomendations and how long i will need?

thx

Default Wide Open

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

You haven't given us much to work with here. I'd say that Florida would be the easiest place to find comfortably warm temperatures. With 3 weeks you could also head to Arizona or even Mexico, but you'd be spending much more of your time driving and much less time in the heat.

Default Say Ahh..

Here is a map of average US daytime temperatures in January. If you really want HOT, then as Michael says, head for Florida, and south Florida at that. Just be aware that you will not be alone as lots of 'snowbirds' go there at that time of year. But if daytime highs more like 65-70║F (18-21║C) will suffice, then you have your choice of destinations like Charleston, SC; Savannah, GA; Mobile, AL; and the Padre Island National Seashore in Texas. If you can cover 500 or so miles a day (a fair rule of thumb), then Charleston is maybe a couple of days drive, Mobile is a bit more than that, and Padre Island is a shade over three days. So, what, besides warmth, are you looking for?

AZBuck

Default January can be tricky!

Quote Originally Posted by magyamae View Post
    I have a lovely 3 weeks in January
    I have been on South Padre Island in late December when the temps reached freezing -- that was extremely unusual and southern Florida has also had record cold temperatures that yielded frost warnings in January. The only place that I think you can really count on warmish weather in January is Key West....

Although my stay on South Padre Island was a bit cooler than expected -- it did yield one of my favorite signs in the RTA Funny Sign collection -- click here.

And, AZBuck -- that is a great temperature Map! That is going to be a helpful link around here --

5. Default

you guys are really great! thanks so muvh for all of this info!!!!! Im so glad to have posted here, and thatnks for the welcome! Like I said, Im ok with driving, but did florida last year in january, and was not too impressed with it... sarasota/ bradenton ..... im looking for a place lesss filled with senior whisky mama's(no offense) and saks fifth avenue shoppers... perhaps arizona is the destination to go to... ant reccomendations to make anyone as to where the hotest and most outdoorsy place to go is? Im rather in love with the thought of a hot desert :)

Magy

Default The realities of geography

Quote Originally Posted by magyamae View Post
    recommendations to make anyone as to where the hotest and most outdoorsy place to go is? I'm rather in love with the thought of a hot desert :)
    Unless you go to southern Mexico, you will NOT find any desert area with hot temperatures in January. Most southwestern deserts will have near or below freezing temps at night and day time highs will rarely exceed 70 degrees. Warmish, but not hot.

Mark

RoadTripper Brad Guest

Default Arizona? Think again.

Mark is right. Unless you venture further south, you won't find a stretch of hot anywhere in the US. You'll find warm, thats it.

One thing people frequently forget is it can get very cold in the Arizona Deserts, especially at night. It is not uncommon to have snow out there either.

If you're looking to hot, perhaps you should be looking to venture FAR south... like Ecuador, or Australia. If you want hot in North America, best to hold off all plans until August, then venture out to Death Valley or Phoenix. By then Phoenix will be so hot people will care less about the actual read out, and blacktop omelets will be the goal of many a youngster.

As it sits right now, axis tilt is going to be your enemy.

-Brad

Default Relative Heat

If you want truely "Hot" weather, then I'd agree with Mark and Brad, you could be pretty disappointed in Arizona.

You'll notice in my first response, I said comfortably warm, and Arizona will be a whole lot warmer than what you'll get in Toronto, but I wouldn't call it hot either.

Florida's a big place, and if heat is your biggest priority, I think your best bet will be to try the sunshine state again, just go for another location, like Key West, which could be perfect for you.

Otherwise for truely hot, I'd be looking at plane tickets to destinations in the Carrebean or Latin America.

9. Default driving from toronto to Florida Keys!

Heya! Thanks for the reccomendations people! So I am taking your advice and getting out of the cold and getting down south, any one reccomend how to get there, which route to take, preferably not windsor, but I will go from buffalo downwards. I wish not to go through the eastern seaboard but the quicker way :)

Also can you make any reccomendations where to stop for the night in what city? I have to stop every 9 hours or so :)

thx
    m
    Last edited by AZBuck; 12-24-2006 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Combined with Reccomendation Posts

Default 3 days

At 9 hours or so a day, you'd be looking at somewhere between 3 and 4 days.

The Fastest Route I see uses I-90 to Erie, I-79 into West Virginia, using US-19 as a shortcut to I-77. Take that all the way to South Carolina, where you'll use I-26 to cut over to I-95, and follow that all the way down to south florida.

There aren't a lot of major cities along this route, but you should still be able to find places to stay. Your first night would be somewhere in West Virginia - around where you'd use Us-19 as a shortcut. Buckley or Sutton would be two choices, or you could use an all Interstate route, and spend the night in Charleston. Your second night then could be somewhere between Savannah, GA and Jacksonville, FL. Depending upon how things get spaced out, that will either put you in position to drive all the way to the keys on a 3rd day, or you could stay in the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area, and coast into the Keys on a 4th day.