1. Default Vancouver to San Francisco with NO SNOW

So I am moving from Vancouver to San Francisco and taking my precious 1972 Datsun 510 street/race car with me, loaded with most of my personal posessions. It has summer tires on it and does not deal at all with snow. What would be a safe route to take assuming no weather abnormalities? I was thinking I5 to Eugene and then out to Florence and down the 101 the rest of the way. Or would it make sense to cut back across to Redding at Eureka to hook up with the 5 again? I have done the Vancouver to SF drive probably 5 times now, so I will just be trying to keep my time on the road to a minimum.

Thanks,

Derek

Default It is all a manner of timing

Quote Originally Posted by Derek510 View Post
    So I am moving from Vancouver to San Francisco and taking my precious 1972 Datsun 510 street/race car with me, loaded with most of my personal possessions.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! I also have a street car, a lowered Q-45 that I would never take on a road with a potential of snow or dirt. The speed-rated tires are great on dry pavement and probably have the same handling characteristics as your car.
    What would be a safe route to take assuming no weather abnormalities?
    What would constitute an abnormality for this year? Record rain and snow in the NW will just about guarantee inclement weather for some of the route.
    I was thinking I5 to Eugene and then out to Florence and down the 101 the rest of the way.
    It really depends upon when are on the road, -- I would think that you ought to stay on I-5 (even though there are mountain passes with the possibility of snow). The conditions at the coast on US-101 will be windy and stormy and much slower -- You have to check the daily and hourly reports and see which have the best chance for dry pavement.

Happy Planning!

Mark

3. Default

Thanks for the response!

I don't mind wet, windy or windy (due to wind or lots of corners), just trying to avoid sub zero C temperatures. There is no way to fit chains on my car either -- the tires clear the fender lips by a negligable amount.

I guess I will just watch the weather and hope it goes well. Don't really have much in the way of options short of putting different tires on the car for the trip.

FWIW I am planning on driving down on Dec 28/29

Derek

4. Default watch the clock as well as the weather...

If you've got a little bit of time to play with, you might consider trying to hit the Grants Pass to Redding stretch in mid afternoon on a sunny day. If you do that you should pretty much have no snow the road and be above 0C. From Redding to SF is pretty much flat and straight down I-5.

Not sure how your timing is, but you might watch the weather forecast and if you're not expecting a storm or low temps during the day to crash for the night in Eugene or somewhere, and then take your time getting started out so you hit the Siskiyou summit to the Redding area after 12 noon (the heat of the day is like 1-2 pm).

Taking the passes to the coast can put you in some snowy passes and weather if you're concerned about that. I-5 has the priority in getting any snow or ice cleaned off, and with the traffic on it patches of snow don't last long at all. I would take it easy past Castle Craigs through, as I know that part of the route may be in shadow in places.

Default Good advice

Quote Originally Posted by Derek510 View Post
    There is no way to fit chains on my car either
    Yeah, I have the same problem. I have about 2" of wheel travel as well -- so I really have to watch it.

Larrison's advice is well taken. When I have had to travel in icy conditions, I would usually choose to sleep in and hit the road no earlier than 10:30 am (giving the ice a chance to melt a little) and then try and be off the road by 4:30 or 5Pm before the hard freezes started.

Mark