Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default In & Out Burger Road Trip

Planning a road trip with me mate this summer in the United States. Me mate is American and took me to In & Out when I visited the states this past March. Please take a look at our schedule and see if we have any unmakeable drives. Me mate will be eating a complete meal at every store, however I dont plan to be that hungry. Lunch will be around 11am. Mid-day snack around 4pm, and supper around 9pm he says. Me mate won the lottery and this is his dream come true. We can only eat at in & out, nowhere else. Me mate has large motorhome we travel in. Any new locations opening please let us know. -Roger
    Tucson, AZ
    Mesa, AZ
    Chandler, AZ
    Chandler, AZ
    Gilbert, AZ
    Tempe, AZ
    Paradise Valley, AZ
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Phoenix, AZ
    Phoenix, AZ
    Peoria, AZ
    Avondale, AZ
    Yuma, AZ
    Prescott, AZ
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    Laughlin, NV
    Kingman, AZ
    Henderson, NV
    Las Vegas, NV
    Las Vegas, NV
    Las Vegas, NV
    Las Vegas, NV
    Las Vegas, NV
    Las Vegas, NV
    Las Vegas, NV
    Barstow, CA
    Hesperia, CA
    Hesperia, CA
    Fontana, CA
    Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Ontario, CA
    Ontario, CA
    Ontario, CA
    Upland, CA
    La Verne, CA
    Pomona, CA
    Pomona, CA
    Corona, CA
    Corona, CA
    Norco, CA
    Riverside, CA
    Pedley, CA
    San Bernardino, CA
    San Bernardino, CA
    Moreno Valley, CA
    Thousand Palms
    Hemet, CA
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Temecula, CA
    Temecula, CA
    Vista, CA
    San Marcos, CA
    Carmel Mountain, CA
    Mira Mesa, CA
    Kearny Mesa, CA
    El Cajon, CA
    Lemon Grove, CA
    National City, CA
    Mission Valley, CA
    San Diego, CA
    Pacific Beach, CA
    Carlsbad, CA
    Oceanside, CA
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    Laguna Hills, CA
    Foothill Ranch, CA
    Irvine, CA
    Tustin, CA
    Orange, CA
    Orange, CA
    Santa Ana, CA
    Santa Ana, CA
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Garden Grove, CA
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Westminster, CA
    Buena Park, CA
    Anaheim, CA
    Placentia, CA
    Anaheim Hills, CA
    Fullerton, CA
    La Habra, CA
    La Mirada, CA
    Norwalk, CA
    Santa Fe Springs, CA
    Downey, CA
    Pico Rivera, CA
    Hacienda Heights, CA
    La Puenta, CA
    City Of Industry, CA
    City Of Industry, CA
    Diamond Bar, CA
    La Verne, CA
    Azusa, CA
    Chino, CA
    West Covina, CA
    West Covina, CA
    Covina, CA
    Baldwin Park, CA
    Arcadia, CA
    Temple City, CA
    Rosemead, CA
    Alhambra, CA
    Huntington Park, CA
    Lakewood, CA
    San Pedro, CA
    Long Beach, CA
    Long Beach, CA
    Long Beach, CA
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Torrance, CA
    Torrance, CA
    Westchester, CA
    Inglewood, CA
    Culver City, CA
    Westwood, CA
    West Los Angeles, CA
    Hollywood, CA
    Burbank, CA
    Pasadena, CA
    Glendale, CA
    Glendale, CA
    Glendale, CA
    North Hollywood, CA
    Panorama City, CA
    Porter Ranch, CA
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Palmdale, CA
    Lancaster, CA
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Newhall, CA
    San Fernando, CA
    Northridge, CA
    Tujunga, CA
    Studio City, CA
    Sherman Oaks, CA
    Van Nuys, CA
    Van Nuys, CA
    Canoga Park, CA
    Simi Valley, CA
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Thousand Park, CA
    Moorpark, CA
    Camarillo, CA
    Oxnard, CA
    Ventura, CA
    Goleta, CA
    Santa Maria, CA
    Atascadero, CA
    Kettleman City, CA
    Bakersfield, CA
    Bakersfield, CA
    Visilia, CA
    Fresno, CA
    Fresno, CA
    Fresno, CA
    Fresno, CA
    Merced, CA
    Turlock, CA
    Modesto, CA
    Manteca, CA
    Lodi, CA
    Stockton, CA
    Tracy, CA
    Brentwood, CA
    Livermore, CA
    Pleasanton, CA
    San Ramon, CA
    Fremont, CA
    Union City, CA
    Milipitas, CA
    San Jose, CA
    San Jose, CA
    Salinas, CA
    Gilroy, CA
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Santa Clara, CA
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Daly City, CA
    Mountain View, CA
    Mountain View, CA
    Millbrae, CA
    San Francisco, CA
    Mill Valley, CA
    Petaluma, CA
    Rohnert Park, CA
    Napa, CA
    Oakland, CA
    Pittsburg, CA
    Pinole, CA
    Fairfield, CA
    Vacaville, CA
    Davis, CA
    Redding, CA
    Chico, CA
    Sacramento, CA
    Elk Grove, CA
    Rancho Cordova, CA
    Roseville, CA
    Roseville, CA
    Auburn, CA
    Placerville, CA
    Reno, NV
    Sparks, NV
    Carson Valley, NV
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 12-14-2006 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Removed some white space

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Welcome...errh

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

Hmmm - If I won the lottery...

Well, I don't think anyone here is going to look over this itinerary and figure out for you if there are any unrealistic drives in there - the list is too long for us to do that. For some reason, this is happening more often on here, too.

Instead, I will say that generally speaking, more than 500 miles a day, while doable, is generally considered the limit - of course, many of us have done quite a bit more than that - ultimately it depends on your comfort behind the wheel, and if both of you are driving. Also, figure on averaging around 52-55mph and you'll be able to tell where you'll be at each time of day.

Now, you may want to watch the movie Super Size Me...

Washington state coast/Olympic Peninsula

Default LOL....yeah, time for Supersize Me

Is eating at In n'Out every meal a condition of winning the money? If not, why in the world? :-)

I see no drive that is unreasonable. You can get from southern CA to northern CA in one long day so all those stops in California won't be hard to drive from. Good thing, too. Because I think you will want to spend more time walking/hiking and doing other activities than sitting in the car after all those meals!

Green County, Wisconsin

Default Why, oh Why?

Oh, my. I'm pretty much in agreement that I don't see anything techinically wrong with your plan. But no offense, It may be the single most disgusting trip idea I've ever heard of.

Don't get me wrong, I love In&Out. I try to get at least one meal there every time I'm traveling out west, and I could probably even eat every meal for about a week there. But while In and Out has some of the best fast food out there, its still factory made, assembly line food. In and Out isn't even a chain that offers local specialties, or even a variety on the menu. You litterally will be eating Burgers and Fries every single meal for 2 and a half months.

Ignoring the health issues, I just don't see how that could be considered fun!

Like I said, there is nothing wrong with your plan from a techincal standpoint and there is no reason you can't do it. If you guys decide this is actually what you want to do, I wish you nothing but the best. I'm honestly just curious how this idea came about.

5. Default Oh mannnnnn.......

That's an interesting road trip.. but I'm also curious about why just In-and-Out burgers for breakfast lunch and dinner? They have a very limited menu, and the choices will get old realllllll fast.

Now, if you're into funky burgers you ought to try a Tommy's burgers in Socal -- their specialty is chili-burgers, or chili-dogs, or chili-whatevers. Or visit Pink's in LA for celebrity hot dogs, or Phillipe's, the home of the French Dip Sandwich, or the restaurant in Tucson that originated the Chimicanga Burrito. But In-and Out burgers 3x a day for weeks?

Now.. a couple of secret things on the In-and-Out menu.

You *can* order a grilled cheese sandwich. It's not on the public menu, but its available. (no meat)

You can also order your burgers as "animal style" or "protein style" so they aren't with a bun (they're wrapped in a lettuce leaf).

And you can order your burgers as "double meat", and beyond that with extra meat, as a "3 by" ("3x") with 3 patties of meat.

And if you want to feel your arteries slamming shut, order a "4x4 Animal Style". Four patties, 4 slices of cheese, tomatoes and extra sauce, mustard, pickles and grilled onions, stacked up sans bun and delivered wrapped in lettuce leaf. I guarantee you won't forget that......

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default 4x4 Animal Style

Quote Originally Posted by Larrison View Post
    And if you want to feel your arteries slamming shut, order a "4x4 Animal Style"... I guarantee you won't forget that......
    Wow, I grew up with a couple of the 2nd generation kids from the founding family and I didn't know about the 4x4 Animal Style! Yeah, that is a serious menu choice! Thanks for sharing!

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default Great Burgers

I first became aware of In-N-Out when I read the obituary of the wife of the founder. It intrigued me with their emphasis on limited menu and keeping the chain to a confined area. Definitely not the model of today's corporate fast-food business.

On our Route 66 trip, I saw one and had to stop. Outstanding food. We also got to one in Las Vegas. We'll be Back!!

We normally do not stop at fast food chains on our trips, unless they don't have them in our part of Illinois. We also liked Del Tacos and Taco Johns.

Keep on Down that Two Lane Highway. --RoadDog

8. Default Ancient History

I first ate at an In-and-Out burger in somewhere around 73-75, as they were about 15-20 minutes drive from college (Claremont complex) and were open late at night. (That's when I found out they had Grilled Cheese Sandwiches -- one of my friends seemed to live on them in college.)

About the same time, they seared themselves into the memory of the youth in SoCal with a clever advertising campaign. In-and-Out Burgers sold a largish, colorful decal which had In-and-Out on the top line, and Burgers on the second. Some teenager noticed that if you clipped off the first and last couple of letters on the decal, you could make a big colorful free decal that would read "In-and-Out urge". This was sufficiently scandalous it became a hot item on cars, high school lockers and just about anything else you could put it on. The company jumped on it, and started printing the stickers themselves, and started a "Late at night, the In-and-out urge strikes...." marketing campaign. Sales, particularly to teens, skyrocketed.

Nowadays, there are a lot more "in and outs" around. Last time I stopped was with a whole Scout troop heading for a campout, and if there was anything on (or not listed) on the menu you could order, I'm sure one of the boys ordered it. The 4x4 animal style was ordered by our linebacker-sized 6' 7" tall 15-year old in the troop, and was consumed with gusto..... He also ordered a double order of fries and the largest soft drink they had.

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

"In-and-Out urge".
    That's a good one. Who'd have thought.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 12-16-2006 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Fixed the quote format

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default Yeah, it was(is) the popular thing

In & Out Urge appeared on my parent's car in the late 1960's (I didn't own a car until I was in college) when I was in high school and I still see them on the cars of current high schoolers in So Ca.

Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 12-16-2006 at 12:05 PM. Reason: technical matter