1. Default Hardcore Roadtrip Cross-Country and Back

Hello. I am new here so bare with me please. A friend and I have just decided that rather then go to Mexico, we will drive across the country and back in January. We live in Northeastern Pennsylvania and plan to hit the Southwest states on our beginning. Now, we've driven to Tennessee in a day multiple times and would not mind doing it again. We are thinking that we will take that route but stop once we hit the South to explore a little then make out way through the Southwest. We really have no itinerary. Not even really when we want to leave. There are a few music festivals that we would like to hit up if it is possible both being in Colorado around January 12. While we were there we would like to (learn to) snowboard or ski. I was hoping for some helpful suggestions from you fine roadtrippin people. Also I am wondering what the weather would be like in Arizona, New Mexico, California. and the warmer states at this time of year. Also, what do you think about Oregon in January? I would love to visit Portland. Also, do you need a passport to drive into Mexico? I don't think so but who knows with this immigration nonsense recently. I only have 2 weeks and we are aiming for a really really low-starving, student-budget. Any sort of suggestion would help. I need some guidance on this one. Thank you very much.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 12-12-2006 at 02:43 AM. Reason: Please don't use e-mail addresses here

Default Pretty tough to do all of that in two weeks

Quote Originally Posted by IIHeyPretty View Post
    A friend and I have just decided that rather then go to Mexico, we will drive across the country and back in January.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum -- I know that you have said that you are "up" for a hardcore roadtrip, but we generally recommend five days each way to do this trip. And that won't leave much time for exploring in Mexico and Oregon...
    Also I am wondering what the weather would be like in Arizona, New Mexico, California. and the warmer states at this time of year.
    Since this is winter -- snow is a good bet just about everywhere in the higher elevations, in the desert cities you might see day time temps in the high 60's with low temps in the low 30's
    I only have 2 weeks and we are aiming for a really really low-starving, student-budget.
    Be sure to look at our money-saving tips here and here.

Happy Planning!

Mark

3. Default

Also, do you need a passport to drive into Mexico?
    You do starting in January. See the US department of State website: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

4. Default

unless your car flies, you don't need a passport untill 2008. however make sure you have all papers you need to drive into mexico

Default Passports

Welcome to the forum Georgia, and thanks for the link.

Just to clarify, Passports are required only for air travel starting in January 2007, but the deadline for land crossings is just one year away: January 2008. Until then, even if you don't have a passport, you will need to bring a copy of your birth certificate along with your drivers license.

That is in addition to any paperwork and mexican insurance you'll need to drive within Mexico.