1. Default A freezing roadtrip up north!

Hey fellas...

I and my couple of friends have taken a stupid decision of road trippin around NY, Philadelphia and Boston, during the New Years Eve. I haven't been up north before and I am sure we'll freeze to death, but in case we survive... can anyone suggest some worthwhile places to visit in that region... ?

Thanks
    Last edited by senseless.reconnaissance; 12-12-2006 at 12:23 AM.

Default Are you driving from Texas?

Quote Originally Posted by senseless.reconnaissance View Post
    I and my couple of other friends have taken a stupid decision of road trippin around NY, Philadelphia and Boston, during the New Years Eve.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! I am not sure I understand this plan. Are you staring in Austin?
    I haven't been up north before and I am sure we'll freeze to death, but in case we survive can anyone suggest some places worthwhile places to visit in that region... ?
    What kinds of places, events appeal to you?

Mark

3. Default

Thanks for your reply!

I'll fly to Philadelphia on 12/28 and start from there with a rental car. We plan to spend couple of days at NY sightseeing, celebrate new year's eve at Times Square and drive further north from there towards Boston. I'd want to visit places having natural appeal or any sort of historical importance, on my way. Or it can be anything which one might be term as 'must see'. I doubt though if we'll visit any museums or art galleries. I'll return from Boston to Phily on around Jan 8 and fly back home.

Any help or guidance will be appreciated :)

Default Relatively speaking

If the weather holds out, you won't freeze - it's been significantly warmer than average the past few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by senseless.reconnaissance
    I'd want to visit places having natural appeal or any sort of historical importance, on my way. Or it can be anything which one might be term as 'must see'. I doubt though if we'll visit any museums or art galleries
    Well, I doubt you could pick many cities with more historical importance than these three. If you are able to bear the cold, take a walk around Boston and you'll doubtless run into some of the most famous locations in the city - Paul Revere's house, the Freedom Trail, Boston Common, the Old Statehouse. Outside the city, you can visit the site of the "shot heard around the world".

It can be hard in this heavily-populated area to find places of special natural appeal, but they do exist. Every winter I try to get a drive along the coast in, usually along Long Island Sound or on Cape Cod. There is something special about this time of year.

If you are into museums, Boston has the MFA for art fans and the MoS for science fans. If you're into anatomy, they are having a showing of plastinated bodies at the moment.

When you're driving from Philadelphia, if you have time, try to take a swing out to the Poconos area of PA. I would check the weather report, however, before making this trip. If you aren't familiar with winter driving, this may not be the best place to learn about it.