1. Default Los Angeles to New York

Guys, I need help.

I am driving from L.A. to N.Y. and have to arrive at the most on December 24... the problem is that we are leaving on the 21st... The only members of the diehard trip is my wife and me...

WILL I MAKE IT???

ANY COMMENTS ARE WELCOME... ANY!
    What routes can you recommend?

Default Only if you are a professional!

Quote Originally Posted by oaqz View Post
    I am driving from L.A. to N.Y. and have to arrive at the most on December 24...
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! This is a Speed Run on the scale of a professional race. I personally have driven this distance twice in three days -- but it is extremely dangerous and unwise to attempt this time of year. However since you are allowing four days, it might be possible IF the weather is good and the roads are relatively dry. Winter time conditions, the best possible average speed you can attain over the course of this trip is 56 mph (this is assuming that you will be driving at or above the posted speed limit 70+ whenever possible). Which means that you will need to travel a minimum of thirteen hours every day for four days and it is critical that you read and follow the advice in this article.

Routes: The shortest and the driest should be your only consideration. Check the road conditions on the 20th and if I-40 is dry -- it is your shortest route. If snow is predicted anywhere in New Mexico or Texas go I-15 to I-70 and straight across.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Default Advice you'd might not expect in this location

Considering your tight schedule and that it will only be two people, why aren't you just flying for this trip?

It would be much less stressful, and much safer than attempting a speed run of this magnitude at this time of year. Not to mention, the price of two tickets on Jet Blue or another discount carrier will probably not be significantly more than what you'll spend on gas and lodging.

Default Speed driving?

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    I personally have driven this distance twice in three days
    What? There and back in 72 hours? Now that is some speed run Mark! ;-)
    Last edited by Peter Thody; 12-12-2006 at 05:29 AM. Reason: 'run' not 'drive'

5. Default bad scenario - LA to NY

I guess I didn't explain myself correctly... I will stay in New York until January 2nd, I am not driving to New York and back in 3 days.

The only reason why I am thinking of driving, is because the airline tickets are extremely expensive! not even JetBlue, which by the way is the most expensive of all. The cheapest option is close to $900.

But point taken, if I a assume that my car will give me 20mpg, I would end up spending close to $700 on gas only!!!

Bad, very bad scenario... someone wants a ride to New York?

Default And that doesn't even include food & lodging!

Actually, if you're doing a roundtrip drive, and if your car gets 20mpg, you will actually be spending closer to $1000 on gas total. Add lodging, food, and other incidental expenses, and I really think you'd be better off buying two roundtrip airline tickets.

I was able to find roundtrip tickets for $633 each for a total of $1266. If your budget is a concern, I think you will actually save money by flying. And you won't be so exhausted from guerrilla driving that you're too tired to enjoy the holidays with your family/friends.

This is the best place I've ever found for airfare. Click on the "looking for airfares?" box. You don't need to sign up for an account, you can simply click through as a guest. It gives you lots of options and I usually find the best prices here. Good luck!

Default One-way only

Quote Originally Posted by vambo25 View Post
    What? There and back in 72 hours? Now that is some speed run Mark! ;-)
    Peter, Even I am not that insane -- not it was one-way. Nice to see you popping in here.

Mark

Default Travel isn't cheap

Quote Originally Posted by oaqz View Post
    The only reason why I am thinking of driving, is because the airline tickets are extremely expensive! not even JetBlue, which by the way is the most expensive of all. The cheapest option is close to $900.
    Traveling is never cheap, especially around the holidays. However, your flexability should be able to help you find a lower price for airfare than that. For example, if you flew on Christmas Eve day, I found a flight from Orange County to Newark, that gets to NYC by 6:30pm, with a return flight on the 3rd for just over $300 per person.

Now, if you want to fly on an earlier day, it would cost you a little more, but I still found other options for Under $400 apiece. But if you are willing to fly on any of the 8 days you'd be spending on the road, and can use any of the 6 airports within an easy drive of LA (LAX, Orange Co, Burbank, Long Beach, Ontario, and San Diego) and the 3 NYC airport, somewhere you should be able something in your budget.

When you factor in not only the cost of gas, but also the cost of motels and food during your round trip, I think you'll find flying really is a cheaper option for you.

9. Default Thanks!

Well, thank you all for the honesty! After reading your reviews I really started looking for air tickets and I found two round trips leaving palm springs and arriving at La Guardia (NY) for only $620 including taxes and all!!!

Midwest Michael: What was the airline where you found the under $300 tickets?

Thanks again!

Default Delta... I think

I think it was Delta, although I think United and maybe American had tickets similarly priced.

I used Travelocity, and used the +/- days feature to cover the days you would be on the road. For the airports, using NYC will search the 3 main New York airports, but you'll use trial and error for all the airports in So Cal.

Doing that with SNA (John Wayne-Orange Co) is how I hit the flight for just over $300. But if you found a flight for $620 total, its vurtually the same price. I did see a few flights for under $300, but most of them were red eyes and wouldn't arrive in NYC until very late on the 24th or the morning of the 25th. I only looked at LAX and SNA - so its also possible that there were even cheaper flights at some of the other airports.

Anyway, congrats and enjoy your trip. I know I would love to drive everywhere for my trips, but sometimes heading to the airport is simply a more practical - and even cheaper - way to get around these days.