Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default From Los Angeles to Pittsburgh

Hello I will be taking a trip on December 20th from LA to Pittsburgh. Can anybody give me an idea of howl long it takes and what is the best route?
    Thanks Eduardo

Default Best is subjective

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Best is a very subjective thing, and this time of year, the fastest route often is very dependant upon the weather.

That said, if skies are clear, my choice would be using I-15 and I-70 all the way across the country.

Your total trip is about 2500 miles, so you should be able to cover the distance in 5 long, yet comfortable days.

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default Watch the Weather

Like Midwest Michael says, keep your eye to the sky.

The scenery is absolutely stunning along I-70 from its western terminus in Utah to Denver. But, definitely not if it is snowing.

4. Default Thanks for the info

Tell me Midwest Michael When you say five long days how many hours a day of travel would that be.

Default 500 mile days

To cover the distance in 5 days, you'll need to cover 500 miles a day. That works out to about 9 hours a day on the road, once you include basic stops for food and fuel.

500 miles is about the ideal distance for a long multi-day travel. Its a nice balance, allowing you to cover a good deal of ground, yet still leaves time for some basic exploring and its not so much time on the road that you will dread getting back in the car the next day.

6. Default Thanks Once More

Thank You Midwest Michael Your help is very important.

Here are some more questions I hope you can help, and in advance I thank you once more.

Me and the family plan to leave on wednesday the 20th and we are hopeing to arrive by the 23rd at night, that would be 3 days. I used raods and trips from microsoft, and it told me that it I could do it in about that time as long as I do it in 12 hour days. Tell me what you think.

Also what route do you recomend the most. up Utha and Colorado ect. Or down Arizona, New Mexico, Texas ect.

Thank You Eduardo

Default Odd but true

Quote Originally Posted by eduardo32 View Post
    Me and the family plan to leave on wednesday the 20th and we are hopeing to arrive by the 23rd at night, that would be 3 days. I used raods and trips from microsoft, and it told me that it I could do it in about that time as long as I do it in 12 hour days. Tell me what you think.
    Normally, we find that the computer used by MS Streets and Trips is living in alternative universe, but that is the time required to travel from LA to Pittsburgh (with DRY ROADS AND NO SNOW STORMS). However, there are two huge artic storms getting to roll onto shore in the NW and I think the chance that you will hit heavy, winter weather on that route next week is EXTREMELY LIKELY.
    Also what route do you recomend the most. up Utha and Colorado ect. Or down Arizona, New Mexico, Texas ect.
    Given the chance for winter weather, you need to check road conditions the day you leave -- but if were me, there is no doubt I would choose either I-80 or I-70 (I would avoid the ice storms likely to be found along I-40 at all costs).

Mark

8. Default Next Question

Thanks for the 411 Mark, let me ask you this how is the drive up the I-80? Is a good hwy to travel? Or is it rough? Would I need tire chains?

Thanks once more.

Default 3 days or 4?

Me and the family plan to leave on wednesday the 20th and we are hopeing to arrive by the 23rd at night, that would be 3 days.
    Actually, wouldn't that be 4 days? If you are driving on the 20th, 21st, 22nd, and 23rd, then yes, in good conditions you should be able to make that distance by traveling 12 hours a day. Its a tad more than I'd recommend, but if you are willing to push yourself, its not unreasonable.

If you actually used 3 days to calculate it, then 12 hours is "another universe" as Mark so aptly described it. 3 days would require more than 800 miles and 15 hours a day of travel. While that might be physically possible to do, it is well beyond what I'd ever recommend - and would become virtually impossible in anything other than perfect conditions.

As far as road conditions go, I-15 is a perfectly fine road. And as far as chains go, having them is generally the best way to avoid needing them. Get a set, practice putting them on before you leave, and with a little luck, they can stay in your trunk for your entire journey.

10. Default Im back

Hello Im back and I would like to thank the people who helped me with my trip to Pitt, it was and awsome. I was a once in a life time experiance. Now what I would love to do next would be to take langer and be able to stop in some of the places I passed. Well take away some of the bad weather we had and this trip was an A plus thanks once more.