Default Dallas to Louisville

Has anyone ever done this route on a semi-speed run? It's roughly a 15 hour one-way drive and i'm planning on only stopping twice (once for gas and once for stretching) I've only been on this trip while on a greyhound bus and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to make this trip a little better for me.

also. this trip is the first leg of a 9 day roundtrip from dallas to louisville to nashville to huntsville to memphis to dallas.

Default Speed Runs

While I like a good speed run, I think you are really pushing it. 15 hours in one day, especially on the first day, is too much. You could very well wake up on day 2 or 3 so exhausted that you will not be able to function safely without some extended rest.

I suggest you try to find a way to split this up into 2 days.

Many of us here are veterans of speed runs but we would never drive more than 3-4 hours without a break of some sort. And you should really move during this break because it is not healthy to sit for so long. Plus your ability to drive safely diminishes and you can become dangerous to others on the road.

Default Nothing Semi about it

Welcome to the RTA Forum, Art!

I'm going to agree with Judy, and say I think you are being a little unrealistic with your plans.

An 850 mile trip is extremely difficult to pull off in a day. Even on my longest days on the road, I almost never go over the 700 mile mark. Beyond that point, its becomes very difficult to stay focused enough to safely drive. While I love driving, after 700 miles, I'm quite happy to be off the road.

Even if you can pull off this distance, trying to limit yourself to 2 stops isn't very realistic. If you are only planning to stop twice, and only one of those stops would be for gas, you'd be driving non-stop for 425 miles. Even if you have a very fuel efficient car that can go that far without running on fumes, it would mean a minimum of 6.5 hours of non stop driving. Sitting that long without moving isn't good for the body, and it isn't very safe, since you mind will need a break from the road too.

Especially considering this is just one day of a 9 day trip, I'd highly recommend rearraigning things so you aren't on the road for this amount of time in a day.

Default Just another piece of info....

I once drove from Green River, UT, to Spokane, WA, in one day. This is 900 miles and I left at about 6am and arrived at about 11pm. Not all of that was driving as I did a lot of quick stops and a few short hikes along the way. But I was totally zonked for 2 days afterwards. The next day I slept in until about Noon and didn't leave the hotel at all. I ate at the hotel restaurant and laid around the pool for a bit in the afternoon. I had a huge headache to shake off. The next day, I was a bit more energized but was still really glad that I was doing things locally and didn't need to drive much. The next day I drove the 375 miles to get home and had to make a lot more stops than normal to get out and stretch and rest my eyes. Anyway...I can speak from personal experience that it would have been impossible form me to continue on for 9 days after such a long driving stint. I just wouldn't recommend it at all.

Default Once is Enough

Like Judy, I have done one major haul such as this, and that was enough to convince me: Never Again! Since the next day is totally lost anyway to exhaustion, why not take it and enjoy the drive rather than subject yourself to such abuse? Just the recommendation of two people who've actually done it.

AZBuck

Thanks for the advice you guys. After going over everything with my fiance (who will be joining me on the trip) we've decided to split the responsibilities. We're doing this trip at night, starting roughly at 7pm. I'll be driving to texarkana where we'll stop for breakfast at IHOP! (if any of you ever take a greyhound trip that takes you through texarkana, there is an IHOP right next to the bus station) Jess (my fiance) is taking over from there until about little rock where we'll have a stretch break. I'm going to try to make it from little rock until nashville, where we'll stop for some breakfast. Jess will then drive the approximately 2.5 hours from nashville to louisville.

I didn't mention this earlier, but the purpose of this trip is family holiday time, that's why I was in a rush at first to get to my destination. I'll admit that was a pretty naive move on my part.

So anyway, for anyone wondering, this is the road trip schedule (not including stops on the legs of the journey)

Dec. 29th Leave Dallas
    Dec. 30th Arrive Louisville
    Jan. 3rd Leave Louisville
    Jan. 3rd Arrive Athens, AL (20 miles west of huntsville for those of you that know the south)
    Jan. 7th Leave Athens
    Jan. 8th Arrive Dallas

The main stops that will be made are in Nashville, TN on the way to Athens, AL and Memphis, TN on the way back to Dallas from Athens.

Thanks for your suggestions and advice you guys.

Default Night Dangers

Attempting this kinds of Super-Speed Run at night poses some extra concerns. Fatigue is going to be an even bigger factor in trying to pull this off through the middle of the night. I'm also guessing that you are leaving late in the day because one or both of you have to work the day you depart? So at least one of you will probably not be well rested before you take off on this trip?

Knowing the details of your plan, I would even more strongly urge you to reconsider your plan. Drive about halfway, say to somewhere in TN, and call it a night. You'd be looking at getting into Memphis around 3am, you can sleep in a bed for a few hours, and finish the trip off the following day.

If you drove through the night and did make it there before falling asleep, you are going to need to sleep through the entire day on the 30th (and probably most of the 31st) to recover anyway. Its just not worth taking the kind of risks that your plan will require.

While I understand wanting to get to your holiday function, I assure you, your family would much rather have you arrive late and safe, then have you arrive as zombies on time, or even worse, not arrive at all.

Default I agree, Michael

We have taken off on roadtrips right after leaving work before but we rarely drive past midnight. Even if one of you naps while the other drives, you're not really getting a good, deep sleep that refreshes. And Michael is right, you will need to sleep a lot once you arrive at your relative's home to recuperate so you won't be getting good quality time with family anyway.

I would suggest driving until about 11pm, find a hotel and sleep, and then get up early and hitting the road. If you do this, it looks like you will be hitting somewhere between Hope-Arkadelphia part of Arkansas about that time. I'm assuming there are plenty of hotels along this stretch of interstate so finding lodging shouldn't be a problem. If this isn't accurate, you might want to make a reservation for the night. Then, if you got up and left by 7am, this would get you into Louisville at about 6:00pm. I like this timing. It gets you to your family in time for dinner and an evening visit with them. And your sleep schedule won't be messed up so you will likely be ready for bed about the same time they will be. I think it would make for a much nicer trip for you both and, since you won't be exhausted and stressed upon arrival, you will be more fun to be around for your family as well.

The Louisville-Athens stretch sounds easy enough as it's only 4 hours or so to drive.

The Athens-Dallas stretch may be do-able in one day. Leave at 7am and you'll hit Dallas about 7pm. But, if you want to break it up, I'd probably leave after dinner and drive to somewhere around Memphis or Little Rock. You'd probably get there around 11pm-midnight. And then travel home the next day. That last day of driving should take you about 7 hours, give or take a bit.

Anyway, that's how I'd do it. You'll be driving in the daytime so you can see the scenery as you go by and you should arrive at all your destinations fairly fresh and able to enjoy yourself instead of being zonked and no fun at all.