Default Cross Country VA to CA

Hello, I am new to this forum, but I have been reading several of the threads. Great site. I am in the Navy, and I will transferring from Norfolk, VA to Monterey, CA in March. A cross country trip has always been a dream of mine, and I would love to share it with my wife, who is new to this country. This will be our first big road trip, and our furniture will travel separately. I plan to take 8 - 10 days for this trip. I ran this itinerary using Mapquest.

DAY ONE
    NORFOLK, VA TO ATLANTA, GA
    600MI 9HR 26MIN

DAY TWO
    ATLANTA

DAY THREE
    ATLANTA, GA TO MEMPHIS,TN
    390MI 6HR 34MIN

DAY FOUR/FIVE
    MEMPHIS, TN TO FLAGSTAFF, AZ
    1330MI 19HR

DAY SIX
    GRAND CANYON

DAY SEVEN/EIGHT
    LAS VEGAS

DAY NINE
    LAS VEGAS, NV TO MONTEREY, CA
    515MI 8HR 23MIN

Please let me know if this plan is feasible. I am particularly concerned about the road between Memphis and Flagstaff along I-40. I would like to stretch this part of the trip by a day, but is there anything worth stopping for? Any recommendations for sightseeing and tourist attractions would be great.

Thanks alot!!!

Default The basics are there

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I think the basic framework of your trip is pretty good. I do think your concern about the Memphis to Flagstaff route is justified. 1300 miles is a lot of ground to cover in 2 days, really more than I would recommend.

There are quite a few things to see in that stretch, The OK City Memorial is something I've heard many good things about and is something I bet you would enjoy. There is also Hot Springs, Arkansas that can be fun to visit, Albuquque and Santa Fe, New Mexico are also interesting towns, and the Petrified Forest is just off I-40 in Arizona. Those are some of the bigger name attractions, there's certainly plenty of other things too, depending upon your interests.

If you can't stretch that leg into 3 days, then I would strongly consider trying to get past Memphis after Atlanta, say to Little Rock, so you'd have 3 more even and less stressful days as you make your way west.

One other thing, your time estimates are a little on the low side. Generally 53-57 mph is about the fastest you can travel once you factor in the necessary stops. Just something to keep in mind as you make your plans.