Default Vegas To San Fran To LA - Early January

Hello there,

I really do need the good advice folks so pile it on please if you will.

Myself and my wife are from Ireland and we're going to the US for the New Year. NYC on Dec 26th and then on to Vegas on Dec 29th. We hope to leave Vegas on Jan 1st and make our way to San Fran and then onto Los Angeles for our flight back to Ireland on Jan 8th.

Therefore, that leaves us 7 days to go from Vegas To LA via San Fran by car. I would really like your advice in terms of what the best tourist spots are for us to visit. We have been to the Grand Canyon and Hoover Damn before so thats out - that means we can just get on the road for San Fran.

I'm thinking 2 nights in Yosemite, 2 nights in Napa, a night in each of monterey, santa barbara and LA.

Obviously Alcatraz is must see for me as well.

Also, this time of year? Is it wise to rent a convertible? What roads are usually closed for winter?

I would really appreciate any advice in terms of beefing up my itinery.
    Many thanks in advance
    Paul

Default Happy New Year Road Trip

Quote Originally Posted by gormleyp View Post
    Myself and my wife are from Ireland and we're going to the US for the New Year. NYC on Dec 26th and then on to Vegas on Dec 29th. We hope to leave Vegas on Jan 1st and make our way to San Fran and then onto Los Angeles for our flight back to Ireland on Jan 8th.
    Welcome to America and to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! I see you will be in Las Vegas for New Year's Eve -- it is a fun place -- the strip is closed to vehicle traffic and it becomes a large party with a few thousand revelers.
    Therefore, that leaves us 7 days to go from Vegas To LA via San Fran by car.
    Death Valley can be on your way to Yosemite and is certainly worth a day (or more). If you do a search for Death Valley, you will find a couple hundred posts or so. As you probably know, the road into Yosemite NP from the eastern slope of the Sierras is closed (seasonal closure it will re-open in June). This route between Las Vegas, San Francisco and LA is one of the most discussed on this Forum. If you look at the bottom of this page, you will see a five of the 400 threads.
    I'm thinking 2 nights in Yosemite, 2 nights in Napa, a night in each of monterey, santa barbara and LA.
    Seems a little rushed not to include a night or two in San Francisco.
    Also, this time of year? Is it wise to rent a convertible?
    Weather in Las Vegas will feel much like it does in Ireland this time of year. Plus you are likely to hit rain in San Francisco and LA so I wouldn't think a convertible makes a lot of sense. But it is a road trip -- and you get to make whatever of it you wish.

Happy Planning!

Mark