The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default Just Back from NC

I just returned from a visit with family in NC. I took Illinois 47 to get around Chicago (great scenery and you avoid the Chicago traffic hassle). Took it all the way south to Champaign, where I took I-74 east to Indiana 63 to Terre Haute. Then US-41 south to Nashville. It and 63 are all four lane. The only towns you have to drive through are Terre Haute and Evansville.

Gas in Henderson, Ky, just across the Ohio River was the cheapest, under $2 on my way down on November 20th and $2.14 on the way back on Dec. 5th. In Henderson, you can go on the Pennyrile Parkway to Hopkinsville, Ky. It used to be a toll road, but, believe it or not, it no longer is. It is slated to become part of the I-69 corridor. (That jus' doesn't happen around Chicago.)

Then I-40 to Raleigh, and US-70, all four lane to Goldsboro, NC.

A word of caution about gas stations off I-40 in the Chapel Hill, Durham, and Raleigh area. If you don't see signs by the interstate, you might be in for a long ride to get to one. I got off at one Chapel Hill exit and gave up after a couple miles. Then I got off at an exit for Jordan Lake and went south for five miles before getting to a station.

Also, if you see a Smithfield's Chicken and BBQ place along the way, stop and have some of that great Carolina pulled pork, vinegar-based bbq, hush puppies, cole slaw, and sweet tea. Just the thing to slake your hunger after a long day out on the road.

Default Thanks for road intel and hunger pangs!

Quote Originally Posted by RoadDog View Post
    Also, if you see a Smithfield's Chicken and BBQ place along the way, stop and have some of that great Carolina pulled pork, vinegar-based bbq, hush puppies, cole slaw, and sweet tea. Just the thing to slake your hunger after a long day out on the road.
    Wow, that sounds yummy. Thanks for the tips about the exits.

Mark

Default Interstate Services

Keeping in mind that ALL highways are state highways and that the laws can vary from state to state, I had a look at the regulations regarding signage for services along Interstate highways in a number of states, and for the most part they seem to be written to a standard set of code, the relevant portions from Maine read:

The maximum distance services shall be located from the end of an off ramp to qualify for logo signing shall be 3 miles for gas, food, camping, and lodging.

and specifically for gas stations:

Minimum hours of operation shall be from 7:00 am to 8:00 p.m., 7 days a week.

This pertains to rural stretches of Interstate. Urban sections are typically not signed, it's just assumed that there are services. So if there's no sign pointing to a gas station out at a rural exit, it's going to be at least three miles (and probably farther) until you find one.

AZBuck

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default Not so at Lake Jordan Exit

Somebody should tell someone in NCDoT about this. I mean, there was nothing out there. Things get intense when you're getting seriously low on gas and need to go to the bathroom.

Thanks for the info though. I did not know the exit services were regulated.

Perhaps the distance situation is caused bu the fact that I-40 was built awhile after the stations.

Keep on Down those Two Lane Highways and Hope There is A Gas Station. --RoadDog