1. Default Dallas to San Jose

We are moving from TX to CA and so my wife and I thought we could make a road trip from Dallas, TX to San Jose, CA during the last week of december. I am not sure if this is a good idea though.
    I estimate that this trip may take us about 3-4 days. We intend to start from dallas early morning so that we can reach Santa Fe, NM in the evening, go around the downtown and spend the night there. I had been to Santa Fe some years back and was impressed with the lighting during christmas and the downtown architecture. We plan to continue the next morning, take the I-40 towards NV, see the Pertified Forest area (recommended by a friend) and maybe spend the second night in Kingman. Take the I-40 and I-5 towards San Jose on the third day.
    We have taken road trips in the past but nothing that spans more than a day. My questions are:
    1) Is this a realistic timeframe to complete the trip?
    2) What road conditions can I expect during this time of the year?
    3) Is Kingman a good city to stop over overnight? Any other towns you recommend?
    4) How is Petrified this time of the year?

Would appreciate any help.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default A bit optimistic

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

1) Is this a realistic timeframe to complete the trip?
    I think you are being a bit optimistic on your time frame. Its doable, but I don't think you'll have a whole lot of time to stop and see things along the way. Dallas to Santa Fe is 640 miles which will take you between 11 and 12 hours, and its also a bit of a detour off of I-40. That's a little more than I'd recommend when you are going to be on the road for a few days in a row, but if you want to get a good jump your first day its doable. Just know, it will be a long day on the road.

Your second day is a little better, at just over 500 miles. This is about the distance I recommend for a long day of travel, however it won't give you a lot of time to look around at the Petrified Forest, or anywhere else along your journey. Kingman is a fine place to stay, but you might want to consider looking at Williams or even Flagstaff and give yourself a little break from the road.

Your 3rd day is up there in terms of miles again, pushing 600 again. Its not impossible, but it could get pretty grueling after driving 1200 miles over the previous 2 days.

Personally, I'd rather split this trip up into 4 days, and spend a little more time seeing things along the way. You'll only be an hour from the Grand Canyon, and Either Las Vegas or Laughlin could be fun places to take a break from driving, if you stretch your trip out to 4 days.

2) What road conditions can I expect during this time of the year?
    Simply put, its impossible to say what weather you'll see more than a few days out. Snow and or Ice would not be uncommon along I-40 this time of year, but you could find clear roads too. Be prepared to be delayed due to bad weather, and if things are looking bad from the start, you could also consider using I-10 instead.

Good luck and happy travels.

3. Default

Thanks for your suggestions.