Default Road Trip for a Lost Soul

Hey guys and gals,

I have been doing a lot of research lately on planning a road trip for me and my best friend. We are planning on starting in Virginia Beach, VA and taking the southern tour of the states then up the west coast on 1 and back across the northern parts of the country. with a little zig zaggin in between. We are planning on joining up with habitat for humanity in some areas and helping build houses, as well as stopping in Louisiana and helping with relief. We have been talking of this trip taking 2 months. two to three days for each destination we travel with a lot of spotanaiety and random acts of kindness along the way.

I guess some of the questions I have are how is it that you all can fund such road trips? What are some of the best sites to see across these great States of America? and just out of curiousity, what is the drive like or is it possible to drive from Seattle WA to Juneau Alaska?

Thanks for your time,

Hearn

Default Lost souls have been hitting the road since time immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Hearn on the Road View Post
    I have been doing a lot of research lately on planning a road trip for me and my best friend.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Well, to keep this person as your best friend, I would start by taking the road trip compatibility quiz and discussing the results.
    We have been talking of this trip taking 2 months. two to three days for each destination we travel with a lot of spotanaiety and random acts of kindness along the way.
    Very noble cause, I think you may have underestimated the distances a little. If you are going to spend 2-3 days in each destination and you really drive as far as you have outlined (in a very vague way) the mileage is somewhere around 22,000 and so you will need to be on the road 36 days and travel at least 600 miles for each of those days. It is doable, but this is going to be very expensive!
    I guess some of the questions I have are how is it that you all can fund such road trips?
    I don't suppose you have a rich uncle/aunt/parent/patron? The best source of ways to make money on the road was just revised and updated -- take a look here -- although written for RVers, the lessons might work for you too.
    and just out of curiousity, what is the drive like or is it possible to drive from Seattle WA to Juneau Alaska?
    Juneau is not connected to the mainland -- you would need to use a ferry --there are several posts here about trips to Alaska.
    Happy Planning!

Mark

What are some of the best sites to see across these great States of America?
    I guess the idea of "best" depends on what you are interested in - a common question we ask on the Forum. I've always enjoyed the natural wonders, such as the National Parks and the like, though I also like learning about the little cultural differences between each area of the country.

The spontaneity is what keeps many of us continuing the pursuit. Taking that side road with the interesting sign. One time I had to pull onto a side road when driving close to my home (to brush off some cookie crumbs, no less) and I discovered an interesting state park that I didn't even know existed.

...how is it that you all can fund such road trips
    Here are some more tips on saving money on the road.

4. Default Road Trip for the lost soul

To Hearn and everyone else:

I took a road trip across America this year. It was great! It was a two month sabbatical that covered 29 states and 22 Nat. Parks. I went all by myself and stayed off interestates. I have a website with a slide show of some of the places I visited;howeever, I am currnetly working on the story of my wanderlust soul taking to the the road.

Enjoy!!
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 12-08-2006 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Format