Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default 2 week Coast to Coast

Hi all,

I am looking to do a 1415 day trip starting in Boston and ending in Vegas I so far have a very brief idea of what I want to do this would include

Niagara Falls
    Toronto
    Cedar Point Amusement Park
    Chicago
    Mt Rushmore
    Yellowstone
    Death Valley
    Grand Canyon
    Vegas

I know that 2 weeks doesn't give much time but I am looking for any must sees or recomendations to try and fit in along the way.

Thanks

Default A little adventurous even for me

Ok - I shouldn't admit how long it took me to realize that you meant 14-15 days, not 1,415 days on the road. (way too many hours taking numbers at face value).

Anyway - I'm going to have to suggest that you narrow down your list a little. It's possible to do what you want with many many hours behind wheel and very little time at each stop. But, that doesn't leave much time for enjoyment and leaves you you very prone to exhaustion and therefore an accident.

Maybe - since you are already in Boston - you could head on out to California and that general area and save your northward treck for a shorter vacation.

3. Default

I am actually based in the UK, and going coast to coast is something I have always wanted to do. There is of course a cost issue with having to book 2 single flights instead of 1 return and also the rental cost of a car which is increased dramatically with the addition of one way drop off charge.

After looking again at this last night I am wondering whether or not I am better splitting this into 2 holidays over the next couple of years, so the new plan is to fly into one of Vegas, LA or San Francisco and then doing a large circle around the west ending back where I started. And then the year after doing the North and East.

Thoughts?

Québec, Montreal, Arizona, California, France

Default A vote for the 2nd scenario

Hello Nobsternobby and welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forum!

Ok - I shouldn't admit how long it took me to realize that you meant 14-15 days, not 1,415 days on the road.
    Chuckle...I was a little bit confused too. 1415 days on the road sounds like paradise!

After looking again at this last night I am wondering whether or not I am better splitting this into 2 holidays over the next couple of years, so the new plan is to fly into one of Vegas, LA or San Francisco and then doing a large circle around the west ending back where I started. And then the year after doing the North and East.

Thoughts?
    If budget is an issue, I think that this last idea is more reasonable since you will be flying in and out at the same location, same thing for the rental car. You could do a loop across the Western States and have more time to enjoy attractions such as Mt Rushmore that is not, at first sight, near the others you mentionned that seem concentrated in the south west portion of the USA. On your way to or back from South Dakota, I highly recommend going through Utah to see some of these attractions : Zion NP, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands, Arches NP and Moab, a picturesque small town. If you plan on going to both San Francisco and LA, you absolutely have to drive the Pacific Coast Highway (highway 1) between the two cities -- click here for some pictures taken by one of our members.

Happy planning!
    Gen

5. Default Summer 2007 Road Trip

Hi All,

This is my current plan of attack for 15 days next June/July, I'll be flying over from the UK and doing this on my own and yes I do realise that there are some long days involved, would like peoples thoughts.

On a separate note does anyone know why I can only view the last couple of posts on the forums.

Day 1 - Arrive Vegas
    Day 2 - Vegas to Yosemite
    Day 3 - Yosemite to San Francisco
    Day 4 - San Francisco
    Day 5 - San Francisco to Eureka
    Day 6 - Eureka to Boise
    Day 7 - Boise to Yellowstone
    Day 8 - Yellowstone
    Day 9 - Yellowstone to Deadwood
    Day 10 - Deadwood and surrounding Area
    Day 11 - Deadwood to Snowmass (nr Aspen)
    Day 12 - Snowmass to Grand Canyon
    Day 13 - Grand Canyon to Vegas
    Day 14 - Vegas
    Day 15 - Vegas
    Day 16 - Fly back to UK

Cheers

Default Go to the User CP!

Quote Originally Posted by nobsternobby View Post
    On a separate note does anyone know why I can only view the last couple of posts on the forums.
    If you click on any one of the major topics and scroll to the bottom of that page you will see a box called "Display Options" -- this is the place where you can set the display to see as few as posts from today all the way back to the beginning of this Forum.

Hope that helps.

Mark

Default One Red Flag

I'm glad that you are aware that some of your days are going to entail quite long drives and that you are budgeting extra time at your main stops: San Francisco, Yellowstone, Deadwood and Las Vegas. But there is one day that just jumps out at me as essentially undoable and that is your very first day in the US. You say you're going to arrive in Las Vegas on Day 1 and drive to Yosemite on Day 2. I find this highly unlikely. I had a look at the flights available from the UK to Las Vegas and they typically depart around noon (GMT) and arrive in Las Vegas around 7 PM (PDT) after a 15 hour flight. Your chances of sleeping on such a flight are practically nil. So by the time you get to your hotel, you will have been up for roughly 24 hours. You are going to be seriously jet lagged and I just don't see how you're going to get a good night's sleep, get up early the next morning (when your body is still convinced it's the middle of the afternoon), and drive 500 miles to Yosemite. Seriously, I strongly urge you to spend that first day just resting and time shifting in Vegas, a city where there will be something to do no matter what time your body decides to be up.

AZBuck

8. Default Another red flag...

Hmm.. Eureka California to Bosie Idaho in one day?

That's probably undoable -- computer says its 670 miles (over 1000 km) on the fastest route, and puts the drive time (not including stops for meals, gas, biological necessities, stretching the legs, sightseeing, etc) at almost 13 hours. Some of the roads aren't made for high speed travel either -- 199 coming out of Crescent City and heading for Grants pass is a 2 lane, winding mountain road for much of its length for example.

Plus -- you'll be zooming past some really great spots to visit -- you'll zoom through all of Redwoods National Park and not have time to stop, you'll cruise past Crater Lake (but can't make the detour to visit it), and several other spots.

You might want to consider either reducing the distance on the trip, or adding some intermediate stops, or you may end up with only memories of watching things go by in a blur of speed.

Default Red Flags to the 3rd Power

Quote Originally Posted by nobsternobby View Post
    This is my current plan of attack for 15 days
    That phrase is really appropriate for the trip you have outlined. Like AZBuck and Larrison have pointed out -- this trip is a little time-deficient -- Are you sure that you really want to spend your holiday rushing from place to place? Here are a couple of other Red Flags:
    Day 2 - Vegas to Yosemite
    Day 3 - Yosemite to San Francisco
    At best you will have 2-3 hours in Yosemite NP.
    Day 5 - San Francisco to Eureka
    Are you planning on driving the coast? If so, this will be a very, very long day. Much of Highway one is twisty and narrow as it winds through the redwood forests -- I have driven it several times in recent years -- If you can average 40 mph over the 10+ hours of driving I will be very surprised. -- Not to mention missing the opportunity to explore the various redwood groves along the way.
    Day 12 - Snowmass to Grand Canyon
    Another interesting day, about 620 miles -- zipping right past Arches NP and some of the most scenic countryside in the west.

Yes, you can probably reach all of the destinations, but you are going to be exhausted most of the time.

Mark

10. Default

Thanks for your comments, I will point out the flight first.

I am booked on a 10am flight from Manchester to Vegas arriving at 12.40pm local (8.40pm to me). I intend trying to get to sleep at around 9pm local (5am to me) that should see me easily through to the morning, I have tried to take the time diff into account, and am hopeful that the following day I will be quite refreshed. I have been to the US in the last 2 years (done the Florida thing) and although that is only 5 hours not 8 it never affected me.

The problem to an extent with the entire trip is that I am trying to fit as much in as is humanly possible whilst breaking up the driving periods with 2 day stops here and there, I am not sure my wife would appreciate me coming back on my own again.

I am aware of time constraints in seeing certain things, and my stop in Yosemite will probably only involve a trip up to Glacier Point and back. And although I did plan on stopping at Crater Lake that is unlikely to be possible.

I did originally have a stop built in at Crater Lake and only 1 day in Deadwood, the stopover at Crater Lake was sacrificed for an extra night in Deadwood on the basis that if you are going to try and fit in the Badlands, Crazy Horse and Mt Rushmore, it's not practical to try and do it in 4 hours.

My trip to Eureka is up the coast but according to Mapquest this is only 4.5 hours from San Francisco. I have anticipated it taking around 8 as I stop of here and there for pics, although obviously I appreciate any corrections on this.

I am aware/concerned regarding distances and fatigue and am planing on taking a 30 min break every 200 miles or 3 hours whilst on the road and where there are very long days I have tried to have a days rest afterwards, I suppose the route I am most concerned about is has as been mentioned - the Eureka - Boise route, I am hopeful that by the time it comes to Snowmass - Grand Canyon I will be somewhat adjusted to what I am doing. I am aware of what I will be missing in Utah and over places, but there simply is not the time in 15/16 days.