Default San Diego to NY in March

my wife and i are moving from southern california to new york city in march and we're trying to do this as safely as possible. if you have any advice about routes, weather, what to avoid or must sees, please let us know. we've been planning this trip for over a year and we're really excited to make the most of this trip. thanks.

Default Nice time of year to be on the road

Quote Originally Posted by NYorbust View Post
    my wife and i are moving from southern california to new york city in March
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! How much time have you allowed for cross the continent? What kinds of things are you looking to see and do. Such a trip is, generally, as safe as driving around your own neighborhood. Here are some more tips about safety on the road.

Happy Planning!

Mark

thanks for your help. we haven't set a specific time line for out trip. we know that we might have to change our plans due to weather and such. we estimate between 1-2 weeks. my wife is a photographer, so beautiful sights along the way are a plus. although we are excited about driving across country, we're even more excited to finally get to NY, so we don't necessarily want to stop if we don't have to. although, because we aren't on a timeline, we're open to suggestions....
    we're driving a uhaul and towing car, so our biggest concerns are safety and weather. any suggestions on how to stay up to date on weather or how to beat avoid or endure storms would be great. we put our drive off for a month in hopes that the weather will be a little better...

Default Fastest would be 4-5 days

Quote Originally Posted by NYorbust View Post
    we know that we might have to change our plans due to weather and such. we estimate between 1-2 weeks.
    Well, that will certainly give you a nice pace -- professional drivers can do it three days, we generally recommend five and so 14 is very reasonable.
    my wife is a photographer, so beautiful sights along the way are a plus. although we are excited about driving across country, we're even more excited to finally get to NY, so we don't necessarily want to stop if we don't have to.
    Well, there are thousands of scenic places between here and there. You sound a little conflicted about stopping though...
    we're driving a uhaul and towing car, so our biggest concerns are safety and weather. any suggestions on how to stay up to date on weather or how to beat avoid or endure storms would be great.
    We have several links to sites that provide weather and road condtions here. The easiest site on the web to gain weather stats is this one -- enter the location and dates of your trip. In addition, most state DOT (Department of Transportation) support the 511 system (with recorded road conditions) and we also recommend getting a CB radio since it has 5-7 weather channels. Here are some tips about winter weather driving.

Mark

Default specific routes

you've been a lot of help so far. what can you tell me about specific highways/freeways? are there any advantages or disadvantages to any of them? depending on the weather, we might want to stay on more populated highways, as opposed to faster or shorter ones.... any more thoughts or knowledge you can share? thank you so much for your help.