1. Default san fran - vegas

Hi all,

I am planning a trip from San Fran to Vegas and I have a couple of question I hope some generous soul can help me with..?

1. Is it worth doing the trip at the end of Feb? I am traveling from Sweden so it is relatively expensive (paying for my girlfriend as well), shoud I wait for the summer months to get the most bang for my buck?

2. I am planning to take two - three days to do the trip, which route is most recommended?

3. Are there motels (of a good standard/safe) along this route?

Any other pointers woudl be most appreciated!!

Many thanks,

Matt

Default Welcome

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

This is a popular discussion on this board see here (which actually is Vegas to San Fran, but has some good tips), here, and here.

Additionally, if you use our search function (in the green bar under your login name above), you will see many more similar threads.
    This has been so popular that I think I may be missing something!

3. Default

Great, thanks so much..

Is start of March an OK time travel? Or is it snowing etc...

Default Bang for your Buck

In Feb and March, Tioga Pass will be closed, so to get from Yosemite to Vegas and/or Death Valley, you either need to cross the Sierras to the south, heading to Bakersfield and around, or you can go back north and cross in the Tahoe area.

If late winter is the only time you can make this trip, I would certainly do it. However, if you can only do this trip once and your time is flexable, I'd probably wait until summer or fall to make the trip.

5. Default It's a doable trip -- a couple of comments

Hi twisty100
    Quote Originally Posted by twisty100 View Post
    I am planning a trip from San Fran to Vegas and I have a couple of question I hope some generous soul can help me with..?

1. Is it worth doing the trip at the end of Feb? I am traveling from Sweden so it is relatively expensive (paying for my girlfriend as well), shoud I wait for the summer months to get the most bang for my buck?

2. I am planning to take two - three days to do the trip, which route is most recommended?

3. Are there motels (of a good standard/safe) along this route?

Any other pointers woudl be most appreciated!! [ ... ]
    1 -- It's worth doing in my opinion. To really do the trip well, you'd want to spend at least 3 days on it, and possibly a bit more (depending upon what you want to see). It's about a day's drive from SF to Yosemite, and you can make it from Yosemite to Las Vegas in a longish day's drive -- but then you won't be doing much sightseeing in Yosemite, or along the rest of the day. In February, you may see rain in California and snow in the Sierras (Yosemite), but the odds of that are like 1 in 4 or there abouts. Temperatures in the day may range from the upper 20's C in the desert to below zero C in Yosemite. 90+% of the roads you will take will not have snow or ice on them.

The good news about traveling at this time of year is that you will not have much problem with tourist overcrowding anywhere you want to go. And the weather usually isn't bad -- so in my opinion it's a good time to travel. This is the best time to visit the desserts; instead of summer temperatures up to 40 C, you will have cool days and cool nights. If you're lucky, an early rain through the dessert may have brought out the wildflowers.

2 -- As noted, Tioga pass, the scenic and best pass east from Yosemite will be closed by snow. Your best route would be from SF east and south through the California central valley to Yosemite. You'll be able to visit Yosemite in winter when there are fewer people since the floor of the valley is kept open through the winter, but the higher elevations in the Sierras will not be accessible unless by snowshoe (but that would be a several day trek to get to them). From Yosemite, you'll head farther south down through the central valley and turn east across the high dessert south of the Sierra mountains towards the town of Barstow. From there you can swing north through Death Valley (this is a good time of year to visit it) or continue to Las Vegas. From Yosemite to Death Valley is a longish day's drive, but very doable, or you can make it from Yosemite to Las Vegas in one day.

Once you get out of Yosemite and back into the central valley, the roads should be in very good condition, and depending upon which road exactly you are on they will range from 2 lane highways through the dessert to 8 lane (4 each side) superhighways. Once on highway, you should average around 100 kph or more while driving -- not including stops for gas, food, bathrooms, and sightseeing of course.

3 -- There are good hotels all along this route. There are hotels in Yosemite park, and in the towns approaching it. When you leave Yosemite heading for Death Valley or Las Vegas, there are good hotels in the towns you will pass through, although the dessert areas may be sparsely populated otherwise. There are a selection of hotels in Bakersfield, Ridgecrest, Barstow and Baker, for example, as well as a smaller selection of hotels in the smaller towns you will pass through. There is an excellent hotel in Death Valley at Furnance Creek. I would recommend checking out some of the web sites that specialize in hotels and look at reviews and prices. (Site 1, Site 2, Site 3 are some of the web sites I am aware of that do this -- or you can type the town's name and "hotels" into a web search engine such as and you should find a listing of hotels and usually ratings on them)

[Editor's Note: You could also use the RTA hotel reservation service or one of our Sponsors -- Personally, we think that Yahoo's service is one of the best in the industry]
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 12-04-2006 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Preferred Format for RTA's competitors

6. Default

Guys and Gals,

Thanks so much for your time, it is invaluable , especially as the West Coast is so far away from Sweden!!

Kindest regards,

Matthew