Default Savannah GA to Fort Lauderdale FL

Hiya again guys... my northern Idaho trip in August was absolutely fantastic, but now I've another trip in the works, and I return to you for some more of your wonderful advice!

So, some background. At the end of March 2007, we will be spending one week at a resort on Hilton Head Island in South Carolina, followed by one week at another resort in Weston, Florida. On the Sunday in between those two weeks, we will be making the 500-mile drive down to Florida. Yes, I know, long drive, but I'll likely be sharing the drive with my dad. Basically it will be just a quick speed run down on that day.

Now my questions. Which is better, to take I-295 around Jacksonville, or just continue straight through on I-95? I'm thinking that on a Sunday in the middle of the day, I-95 traffic shouldn't really pose that much of a problem. Then, of course, Florida Turnpike vs. I-95 going from St. Lucie to I-595. From what I have read so far, the turnpike seems to be the better option - 100 miles for a toll of $6.70. Is this something you'd be in agreement with?

I guess the other part of this missive would be attractions. We certainly are planning on checking out historic downtown Savannah, and I think we will want to tour a plantation. A day trip to Charleston isn't out of the question either, though it's a solid 2 hours away. I really haven't looked up what there is to do around Fort Lauderdale. My dad does want to take a trip down I-75 (Alligator Alley) to Naples. So, any further suggestions in terms of attractions? Yeah, I'll definitely be doing more research along this line, but hey, I thought I'd ask while I was at this.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 12-01-2006 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Added the link to the previous thread

Default Plantations & Gators

Quote Originally Posted by wacko2 View Post
    I think we will want to tour a plantation. A day trip to Charleston isn't out of the question either, though it's a solid 2 hours away. I really haven't looked up what there is to do around Fort Lauderdale. My dad does want to take a trip down I-75 (Alligator Alley) to Naples.
    Welcome back! The Shack-up Inn is a possibilty you might enjoy and Florida is really an incredible place -- you will be a amazed how many gators you see!

Mark

Default Southeast Coast

First things first. I-95 through Jacksonville is probably only about 10 miles (or less) shorter than going around the city on I-295, but you're right in that it being a Saturday, traffic might be even heavier out in the 'burbs, so I'd just take the straight shot through. Similarly, I'd probably shell out the $7 for the Turnpike since that cost will presumably keep the traffic lower on that road over the freeway, I-95.

As far as the day trip to Charleston, I'd think that's absolutely in order from Hilton Head. If you do nothing else, tour Patriot's Point from where you can also catch the ferry out to Fort Sumter National Monument. Also look into a visit to the Hunley. Charleston also has a number of great old plantations out along the Ashley River Road.

And you ARE going to the Everglades from Fort Lauderdale aren't you?

AZBuck

Quote Originally Posted by Editor
    The Shack-up Inn is a possibility you might enjoy
    Well, if I ever go through Mississippi, I may check it out. But in actuality, we are flying into Savannah and out from Fort Lauderdale. Sorry for not making this clear in my first post.

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck
    As far as the day trip to Charleston, I'd think that's absolutely in order from Hilton Head.
    I love museums and historic sites, so I like your suggestions. I will certainly take a close look at them! I would also think we would visit the Everglades at some point. Though since we will be staying inland in Weston, we will already be quite close to swampland!

Default Best Time to see 'em

My dad does want to take a trip down I-75 (Alligator Alley) to Naples.
    The best time to see them is in the late morning and/or early afternoon while driving westbound. The sun hits the sloping north bank of the roadside drainage canals and provides a nice, warm, "gator-friendly" resting place.

Mark

Default OK -- do the one in Jacksonville

I love museums and historic sites, so I like your suggestions.
    OK, since you are going right past Jacksonville, I would suggest stopping at the Kingsley Plantation. The plantation is on Fort George Island about 14 miles east of Jacksonsville. You will need to take the ferry but the plantation itself is free. The ferry runs every 1/2 hour or so.

Mark

I don't think we are likely to visit Kingsley Plantation, as we really do need to get down to Fort Lauderdale that day. But thanks again for your helpful suggestions!

Edit: A quick search of the forum turned up a few more nifty suggestions for Savannah. Thanks to everyone for sharing.
    Last edited by wacko2; 12-04-2006 at 01:15 PM. Reason: More stuff, of course!