1. Default Weekend Trip from DC December 15-17th

Hey new to the site and I LOVE IT! Great resources and helpful intelligent people! I am itching for an adventure and would like to do something new in the area which I have spent a solid 19 or so years in. I grew up in Maryland and after a four year adventure in Pittsburgh I am back in the DC area. Anyways getting to the point.
    I was wondering if anybody had any ideas for a good adventure maybe 2 to 6 hours from DC maybe to the south or west? I have done most of the Bmore, Philly, Eastern Shore circuit. Looking for some fun ideas of new places in the other direction! Thanks!

Tucson, AZ

Default No Lack of Possibilities

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

There certainly is no dearth of historic and/or scenic places to visit within a half day's drive of DC, even limiting yourself to just the South and West. Try some of these and see if any strike your fancy:

The National Road of western Maryland and southwestern Pennsylvania including Fort Frederick and Fort Necessity
    The Blue Ridge parkway and caves (e.g.: 1 and 2)
    The Historic Triangle of Yorktown, Jamestown and Williamsburg
    Presidential homes: Mount Vernon, Monticello, Montpelier, and Ash Lawn-Highland
    The Shenandoah Valley

Green County, Wisconsin

Default Head for the Hills?

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Have you spent any time in the Smokey Mountains? That would be one option that would be South and West within a days drive of DC.

The New River Gorge in West Virginia is another option that would be a little bit closer.

Are you looking for cities or Nature or something else?

4. Default Thanks for the info!

Soo those are all great ideas that have made me itching to get out even more!
    I would love to get to New River Gouge...can't believe I have never been!
    And I am thinking about taking the Blue Ridge Parkway down to the Smokys in the spring or early summer. Another trip I haven't yet embarked on.Thanks for all the great ideas and slightly offbeat historical sites as I have not yet visited all those famous VA presidential houses. (Any Favorites besides mount Vernon, of course?)

It has come to my attention over the weekend that our lovely weather has been pushed aside. =( (making a few of the National Parks a little less inviting) And also my roomates are driving to Charlotte next weekend. So I am going to tag along for the ride.

Anything interesting/exciting on the way or in Charlotte I should check out on a Sat/Sun?? THANKS!!!

Tucson, AZ

Default D.C. to Charlotte

Depending on how you go, there are several worthwhile stops between Washington and Charlotte. For someone with a taste for offbeat historical sites (not sure if you have, or you were just commenting on my taste in same) there is Petersburg National Battlefield where WWI tactics (trenches and such) got their first workout, and Guilford Courthouse National Military Park, one of the last British 'victories' in the Revolution before Yorktown. Also, NC-49 from Asheboro to Charlotte is a fairly scenic bit of road.

On the other hand you could come down I-66/US-15/US-29 and stop at three of the four Presidential homes I listed earlier (leaving Mount Vernon for a local trip out of DC) and make up your own mind about them. I happen to be partial to Jefferson and Monticello.