Default Thinking about an '07 Summer Trip out of STL

Hi everyone -- long time lurker first time poster.

Anyway, I am currently an academic and have recently discovered that, effective July 1 of next year, that I will become an ex-academic. Next July 1, my wife and I will have a good amount of savings and a daughter who will have just turned 1. I am planning to take some time off before finding employment again and my wife (who does some adjunct teaching) will most likely be free until mid-August. I was thinking of taking three to four weeks of that time to do some exploring.

I know I would like to start by following the Mississippi from St. Louis up to its source. From there I am at a bit of a loss as to which general route to take. My highest priorities would be Banff, Jasper, Glacier, the Badlands, and the Black Hills. I have been to Yellowstone and the Tetons several times and very much enjoy them. My first thought, after glancing at some maps, would be to follow US-2 for a while and then cut up to Calgary (and thence Banff and Jasper) using I-15. Alternatively, I could cut up into Canada earlier. After that, coming back down to Glacier/Waterton and through Montana to Yellowstone and the Tetons and then out US-14 to I-90 to the Black Hills and Badlands and then back to the homestead.

My wife and I are not averse to speed runs if necessary (although I wouldn't count on our ability to do them with a 1 year old in tow) but we prefer to plod and explore. My gut is telling me that three weeks would be pushing it but that four would be reasonable. Am I in the right ballpark there?

Thanks,
    Jon

Default Headwaters are marked

Quote Originally Posted by jcorb2d View Post
    Hi everyone -- long time lurker first time poster.
    Welcome to the posting element of the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    Anyway, I am currently an academic and have recently discovered that, effective July 1 of next year, that I will become an ex-academic.
    Is this a good thing or not?
    Next July 1, my wife and I will have a good amount of savings and a daughter who will have just turned 1.
    Sounds like the right time to hit the road!
    I know I would like to start by following the Mississippi from St. Louis up to its source.
    A couple of our Guides followed it to the source last summer.
    From there I am at a bit of a loss as to which general route to take. My highest priorities would be Banff, Jasper, Glacier, the Badlands, and the Black Hills. My first thought, after glancing at some maps, would be to follow US-2 for a while and then cut up to Calgary (and thence Banff and Jasper) using I-15. Alternatively, I could cut up into Canada earlier.
    US-2 is pretty cool, although I would suggest making the Going-to-the-Sun-Highway a priority (the bison preserve is also on your way and very, very cool) and then following US-93 into Canada, stopping at Fairmont Hotsprings on your way north. You can pick up the Black Hills and the badlands on your way south and home again.
    My gut is telling me that three weeks would be pushing it but that four would be reasonable. Am I in the right ballpark there?
    If you can spend the entire four weeks, it will be very memorable...

Mark

Welcome to the posting element of the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    Actually, looking at my profile, it seems I did post before a little over a year ago and inexcusably forgot to thank AZBuck for his kindness in responding to some questions regarding Northern WI and the UP. It was a wonderful trip and a trip back and to the Ontario side of Lake Superior lies in our future.

Is this a good thing or not?
    More good than bad, probably. I had already been considering when to leave when my Department Chair made the decision easy for me.

US-2 is pretty cool, although I would suggest making the Going-to-the-Sun-Highway a priority (the bison preserve is also on your way and very, very cool) and then following US-93 into Canada, stopping at Fairmont Hotsprings on your way north. You can pick up the Black Hills and the badlands on your way south and home again.
    Thanks. That's more or less what I was thinking routewise. I probably should have noted that our trips tend to focus on hiking and local artisanal food (which, I admit, is a bit of a weird combination). We were planning to do as much exploration of Glacier, Banff, Jasper, etc. on foot (with baby in a sling) as we can. I certainly am not going to miss Going-to-the-Sun based on everything I've heard about it!

Thanks so much,
    Jon

Default I think it's a perfect combination!

Quote Originally Posted by jcorb2d View Post
    I probably should have noted that our trips tend to focus on hiking and local artisanal food (which, I admit, is a bit of a weird combination).
    Nothing makes me hungrier than a nice long hike! What a way to top off the day.