1. Default Las Vegas to Flagstaff in Winter

Hi I am a first time poster and need some help please, its my first trip to the US and I seek some advice on driving form Las Vegas to Flagstaff mid December.

I understand there may be some snow on the way to Flagstaff and being from Australia it is not something I would normally have to deal with when driving

I will have a hire car (mid-size sedan) for the trip, should I have any concerns?

Would appreciate any advice

Thanks

Default As in two weeks from now?

Quote Originally Posted by cdk in the usa View Post
    Hi I am a first time poster and need some help please, its my first trip to the US
    Welcome to the United States and to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    and I seek some advice on driving form Las Vegas to Flagstaff mid December.
    In a normal year, there is always a chance for some white stuff in December, but it rarely causes many problems. Here is a link for extensive weather data for Flagstaff over the 15th to the 20th of December for the last few years. As you can see, there is some chance for snow, but certainly less than 30%.
    I understand there may be some snow on the way to Flagstaff and being from Australia it is not something I would normally have to deal with when driving
    Read our Winter Driving Tips and SLOW DOWN, you will be fine.

Happy Planning!

Mark

3. Default Great Drive! Get Your Kicks on Route 66..

Las Vegas to Flagstaff can be a great drive, if... you stay off any Interstate Highways, especially I-40 in Arizona. First drive to Hoover Dam and then southeast to Kingman AZ and stop at The Powerhouse. This is located on Old Route 66 near the railroad tracks on the west side of downtown. Get all the info you need about driving Historic 66, (which you can from Kingman to Seligman and some other sections nearly all the way to Flagstaff). Hackberry General Store is a MUST stop. Also, Seligman is another must stop at Angel Delgadillo's store and the Sno-Cap Drive Inn. Grand Canyon Caverns is a neat place and the Grand Canyon obviously. Williams, AZ is a nice little Route 66 town. The only snow you might get will be very near Flagstaff. Happy Motoring!

4. Default Just be prepared...

hi cdk --

You should be fine driving to Flagstaff in December. All the routes are very good, although as pointed out the I-40 route can be a bit dull. The other routes, while they may be smaller roads are all paved and in very good shape -- so no problems from a basic route issue.

Having said that, you should be prepared "Just in Case". That is, have a small flashlight on hand (I have one in my briefcase at all times), and take warm clothing, and some water (like a couple of half liter bottles). And of course, no road trip is complete without some snacks for the car (which double as emergency food if you need them). And of course, a cell phone just in case. And warm clothes -- jacket, sweater, comfortable shoes with warm socks, etc. You'll want to get out of the car and walk around in places like the Grand Canyon, where the temperature may be near freezing -- so you'll need those anyway I suspect.

For optional stuff, I'd take along a good map (never hurts), which would be more than the tiny map they give you at the rental car agency. Printing out some internet maps of your route (not aerial photos...) would probably be all you need, but a good atlas or state map would also do the job. A camera is a must -- just to document where you're at (as well as "just in case"...) And I always have a book in the car -- keeps me from fidgeting if I'm stuck somewhere waiting.

Other than that.. you'll be there at a beautiful time of you -- perhaps with the changing colors in the mountains of Arizona, and perhaps with a little bit of snow on the peaks and canyons.

5. Default A diffferent opinion

I couldn't disagree more about I-40. That's not to say that Old 66 isn't worth your time, but...

Between Kingman and Flagstaff, I-40 is a magnificent drive (and great scenery) -- climbing through (and between) the Cottonwood, Aquarius and Mohon Mountains east of Kingman, there are grades as the highway passes through the desert mountain cuts and passes. Closer to Seligman, you cross the Juniper Mountains at about mile 109, and continue on toward Ash Fork as the road opens out onto high and dry ranch country -- cold this time of year -- smoother and grassy, it is cow heaven -- and very pleasant to the eye. Then, past Ash Fork, you climb up into the high country, around and over the north shoulder of Bill Williams Mountain, and stay high (about 7,000 feet MSL) the rest of the way through Williams to Flagstaff -- 33 miles or so (past Williams).

As Mark said, the area can get snow but you have an excellent chance of seeing nothing but dry roads. Even if it does snow, it isn't likely to stall you TOO much -- it rarely gets so bad that we have to wait for long. Bob
    Last edited by Robert Schaller; 11-29-2006 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Amplified the travelogue a bit

6. Default I-40 vs. Route66 - Kingman to Seligman

Is NO contest. The drive along Route66 is peaceful, serene and most of all fun because of the "roadside attractions" I mentioned. You might see ten cars on this road the whole way and you can drive just as fast as you want. I-40 is one LONG line of 18 wheelers and LOTS of traffic.

Default Different strokes

Quote Originally Posted by StaunchSteve View Post
    ... You might see ten cars on this road the whole way and you can drive just as fast as you want.
    Speed limit is 55 mph and it is patrolled.
    I-40 is one LONG line of 18 wheelers and LOTS of traffic.
    Like Arizona Bob, I prefer I-40 -- more scenery and the road is in much better shape.

Mark

8. Default 99% of Travellers Prefer I-40 to Route66

And that's exactly why I don't. I'm not much of a "follow the crowd" sort.

9. Default Thank you

Thanks for the great information, could possibly be in Flagstaff a few days so there may be opportunities to explore both routes.

Much appreciated

Craig