Thread: Newcomer

1. Default Newcomer

Hello,
    I just married Oct 2006, and a week after, I was deployed to Afghanistan. I will be serving a one year tour here. I am trying to plan a vacation for my wife and me. I would like to do something that would allow us to spend the most time together. I am currently planning my leave dates for 15 June 2007. I thought this would be a perfect opportunity for us to take a road trip. Does anyone have any ideas on a 12-day roundtrip journey we can take leaving from Baltimore? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Default Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by RoadTripper 1126 View Post
    I just married Oct 2006, and a week after, I was deployed to Afghanistan.
    Probably not the finest timing, but lots of serviceman go down that path. Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    I would like to do something that would allow us to spend the most time together. I am currently planning my leave dates for 15 June 2007. I thought this would be a perfect opportunity for us to take a road trip.
    A roadtrip does sound good -- as long as you leave plenty of time for long walks and sleeping in. With a 12-day window, you can reach virtually anywhere in America. What interests you? Mountains, Deserts, seashore, shopping, fine food? If it were me, I would probably go the Rocky Mountains. What kind of budget do you have to work with?

Mark

3. Default

I know my timing was not the greatest...

I have never really traveled around the U.S. before, so I am just looking forward to the opportunity. There isn't too much I don’t enjoy and my wife is similar in taste. I would like something very romantic to make up for the year I am gone. Right now I am looking to budget about $3,000. If that is not enough please let me know and again thank you.

Default Life is always an adventure!

Quote Originally Posted by RoadTripper 1126 View Post
    I have never really traveled around the U.S. before, so I am just looking forward to the opportunity.
    I have never taken a bad roadtrip in America and I have been doing it for over thirty years.

First, I hope you have an assignment with a modicum of safety in Afghanistan! Two special forces guys I know are back (for a while) and both a bit banged up.
    I would like something very romantic to make up for the year I am gone. Right now I am looking to budget about $3,000.
    Romance occurs despite the physical realities, not because of them. There are lots of posts on this Forum from folks planning honeymoons and reunions and most of us who have been in relationships for a while would agree that something as mundane as grocery shopping can be pretty darn romantic -- it's all happens in that finite space between your ears.. But I digress.

For starters, read the suggestions made by AZBuck in this post from someone who finds themself in a similar situation. And in any post/thread, be sure to look at the bottom of the page for more ideas.

Budgeting ideas can be found in this section.

Ya know, June in Key West is pretty fun. I think I would go down there.

I am sure some of our regulars will have some more ideas soon.

Happy Planning!

Mark

5. Default The Keys

And if you DO head south toward Florida as Mark suggests, you might make a drive along the Outer Banks of North Carolina part of your adventure. I think it would fit your bill.

By the way, thank you for your service. I know that being away on deployment is not easy. Please keep your head down.

Bob

6. Default

If I do head south, how do I plan for the Outer Banks?

7. Default Please clarify

I'm not sure what you are asking. Please give it another shot. Are you asking how to get there, where to find information, or what? Bob