Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Las Vegas to Yosemite

We travel from England each year and have done about 7 trips now. Next year we want to go from Las Vegas to Yosemite back to Vegas and then go east to the Grand Canyon. Any tips on this trip - can it be done in 2 weeks???

2. Default

Here is link to the Yosemite National Park website for the opening and closing dates of Tioga Pass. http://www.nps.gov/yose/trip/tioga.htm

I would just make sure that the pass is will be open so you can enter the park from Hwy 395..going and coming. It's a lot more scenic than the central valley of California...a lot shorter too! If you are coming in June then I think I would do the Grand Canyon first and then Yosemite so the changes of the pass being open will be in your favor. If you are coming in July or August...it won't matter.

If Tioga Pass is open, I'd drive north on Hwy 95 to Tonopah, NV, then take hwy 6 to Benton, CA where you can pick up Hwy 120 and enter Yosemite National Park. I'd spend at least 3 nights/2 days in Yosemite and more would be even better.

When you leave, I would again take Hwy 120 over Tioga Pass to Hwy 395. Travel south on Hwy 395 to Barstow and then pick up Hwy 40 to get you to the S. Rim of the Grand Canyon. Again, I'd spend at least 3 nights/2 days at the Grand Canyon.

When you leave the Grand Canyon to go back to Las Vegas, I'd take the more scenic northern route. Exit the GC on Hwy 64 driving east towards Cameron. Then take hwy 89 to Page, AZ and the Glen Canyon National Recreational Area (Lake Powell). If you have the time, spend one night here because there are a lot of activities that can be done in this area. Then continue on Hwy 89 to Mt. Carmel Jct. and then take Hwy 9 into Zion National Park. Continue on Hwy 9 to I-15 to take you back to Las Vegas. This route will need at least two days, one night. Longer if you have the time.

Utahtea

3. Default

Utahtea has some great ideas. If you haven't visited Yosemite before, don't just stay in the valley. There's so much to see and the park is so big, if you don't visit other parts, you're missing a lot. During the summer, I think the prettiest way to go is Tioga pass. It's started at a little town named Lee Vining, CA. But, if you go early in the summer, it may be closed.

Have fun.

4. Default Las Vegas-California Coast round trip

We live in England and love the National Parks and have done several trips covering Colorado, Montana, Utah, etc. The one we want to plan is causing some problems. We fly into Las Vegas in May and could use some help in planning a two week visit. Would be grateful for any help. Want to visit Yosemite, Death Valley, Kings Canyon, Sequoia and possible Pinnacles.

Default Numerous tips available

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Vegas to Yosemite, Sequoia, and the California Coast is discussed in dozens of threads on the forum. I'd start by using the search function of the forum to get some general advice on the region.

If you still have some specific questions about your ideal trip, then by all means post them, and we'll do our best to help.

6. Default Doable in 2 weeks

Hi Irisreds --

The trip you have roughly described (Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Death Valley, Yosemite, Sequoia, Kings Canyon, and possibly Pinnacles) is very doable in 2 weeks. You also described it as "casuing some problems" in your planning? What are the difficulties?

7. Default

Thanks for the reply. The problems are deciding which towns to stay in for the best access to the parks, how long we need in each place and if there is anything else to do in those areas - say at night. We love dancing to country music!! Any ideas???

8. Default More information?

Quote Originally Posted by irisreds View Post
    Thanks for the reply. The problems are deciding which towns to stay in for the best access to the parks, how long we need in each place and if there is anything else to do in those areas - say at night. We love dancing to country music!! Any ideas???
    Hi Irisreds -- Hmmm.. you haven't given us a lot of information to offer suggestions about. You're flying into Las Vegas? Where are you flying out from? Are you taking a rental car one way? or planning on returning it to Las Vegas when you leave?

For example, for a rough iteneary, I'd assume you're flying into one of the major US international airports, and then taking a connecting flight to Las Vegas? As an alternative, consider flying into Phoenix Arizona, and from there, renting a car up to the Grand Canyon. That would avoid having to loop east from Las Vegas for a half day's drive, and then back west to Las Vegas (all the other places are west of LV). That would also give you the option of visiting (depending upon your tastes and time) places like Montezuma's Castle (Indican Cliff Dwelling), Sedona (red rock canyons, and an artists community), etc on your way to the Grand Canyon.

From the Grand Canyon its about a half days drive to Las Vegas. Then a few hours from LV to Death valley, then about a day's drive into the California Central valley to either Sequoia or Yosemite areas. But you wouldn't be returning to LV on this route.

9. Default

Thanks for that but we already did the Grand Canyon. The next trip will be Death Valley, Yosemite and then on to the coast hopefully. Not sure where to stay for Death Valley or Yosemite. Any ideas?

Default Furnace Creek Inn

Quote Originally Posted by irisreds View Post
    The next trip will be Death Valley, Yosemite and then on to the coast hopefully. Not sure where to stay for Death Valley or Yosemite. Any ideas?
    A very elegant inn is smack-dab in the middle of Death Valley -- I sneak away to the Furnace Creek Inn as often as I can.

Mark