1. Default Road Trip Around Great Lakes Area

Hello!

I recently moved from California to New York. My brother is getting married in December in Michigan. I also recently broke up with my long-term girlfriend. I could use a nice, long road trip to help rediscover my identity, and explore my new piece of the country. I'd like to focus the trip on the great lakes area. If anyone has any tips or advice, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks,

Faucethead

Default Life Changing Experiences

Quote Originally Posted by Faucethead View Post
    I recently moved from California to New York. My brother is getting married in December in Michigan. I also recently broke up with my long-term girlfriend. I could use a nice, long road trip to help rediscover my identity,
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum -- Here is a thread about doing a Lake Michigan Circumnavigation! RoadTrips are great ways to go on quests and sounds like you are about ready for one! I am sure some of our local contributers will have some more ideas, but in the meantime -- be sure to look at the bottom of this page for some more lake-oriented trips!

Happy Planning!

Mark

Default Great Lakes Road Trip

Having done the circle tour of Lake Michigan and Superior I will tell you that they are both awesome drives. Superior more so that Michigan especially on the Canadian side. Michigan is neat around the sand dunes and the Mackinaw(sp) bridge area. Also make it a point to hit a few of the roadside parks as they are called in Michigan(provided they are still open, most are seasonal). Each of them has something unique to offer like hiking trails or picnic areas or even views of the lake itself.

The Canadian side of Superior was neat in that it has some really high bluffs overlooking the lake and off in the distance big ships could be seen. I doubt that there is much for commercial shipping this time of the year though due to the hazardous winter weather. It has been a few years since I did either trip so I dont remember exact road numbers , but do remember enough to know that they were both fun trips. Enjoy and hopefully you will rediscover yourself.