1. Default Help: Looking for Old Truck Stops

Hi,

I am a foreigner [from Singapore] currently working in Princeton, NJ. During the weekends, I like to 'savor' American culture, eating at diners, visiting the local bars etc. My latest passion is to see the old type of American truck stop and eat there. But it seems they are all now called travel plazas and no different from a mall. I have only found 1 old-time truck stop, in Coopersburg PA, on US 309. Can anyone point me to old-time truck stops with food in NY,PA,NJ,DE,or MD? Thanks.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 11-21-2006 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Removed Email - We like to keep the messages on the Forum

Québec, Montreal, Arizona, California, France

Default Diners & truck stops

Hello Tiankhean and welcome to the RoadTrip America Forums!

I like to 'savor' American culture, eating at diners, visiting the local bars etc. My latest passion is to see the old type of American truck stop and eat there. [...]Can anyone point me to old-time truck stops with food in NY,PA,NJ,DE,or MD?
    I can't remember of any precise location on the top of my head right now except some spots in Massachussetts -- Harry's Diner & Dairy Bar in Wellesley and Budabing 50's Café in Millis and they are not exactly truck stops -- but here are a couple of guidebooks and links that might help you finding some old fashioned diners and truck stops for in the States you mentionned and I added New England in case you'd like to go a little further north:

RTA's Road Eats page including many restaurants suggestions and links to other road food sites
    Diners of New England
    Diners of the North East
    New England Roadside Delights
    Diners of Pennsylvania
    Jersey Diners
    American Diner : Then and Now
    Retro Diner : Comfort Food from the American Roadside
    Road Food : the coast to coast guide [...]
    Roadside Americana
    All-American Truck Stop Cookbook (recipe book)
    American Diner
    The American Drive-In [...]

Nota bene : most of these titles are a result of a research I did on the internet. I haven't personally checked out any of those books myself, so I don't know what they're worth. Some of them are guidebooks and some others are simply photography and memorabilia. I hope it'll help you anyway.

But it seems they are all now called travel plazas and no different from a mall.
    Yep, isn't that a shame?:o(( I like old-time diners too because even though we're neighbors with the US, we don't have a lot of these places left north of the border. As a child, I liked going south of the border to dine in those neon-lit restaurants and take photos. Unfortunately, as you say, they are quickly disappearing and replaced with "Travel plazas" and they are much harder to find, especially in the east. Maybe you should travel westward, you'd like it, especially the south west:o)

Let us know if you find any interesting spot. Good Luck!
    Gen

Default From one road warrior....

Quote Originally Posted by tiankhean View Post
    My latest passion is to see the old type of American truck stop and eat there. But it seems they are all now called travel plazas and no different from a mall.
    To the professional drivers, these travel plazas are a godsend. Most now sport restaurants with excellent food -- that couldn't always be said about the old truck stops. However, to address your question -- I would suggest that next time you are at travel plaza/truck stop that you purchase the Truck Stop Guide, by looking for lots that can accommodate 75 trucks or less you can weed out the modern-sized travel plazas pretty fast. Better yet, strike up a conversation with a trucker -- they know where all of those places are.

Mark