Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Help for Newbie..

Hello Experts,

We group of four people planning a road trip from Minneapolis to Rocky mountain national park for the Long week end.We have some doubts for the planning..Pls help us,

1.Our Plan
    Start from Minneapolis @ 11/22/06 evening around 3-4 PM.
    Reach Rocky mountain (4 drivers and we want one overnight journey!)..around 2:00 PM Thursday (11/23/06).
    Take a room near the national park and rest for the day.

Visit Rocky Mountain from Friday(11/24) morning till sunset and then head towards Springs.
    Stay @ Springs for the Friday night and visit around Springs for Saturday(11/25).

Start from springs after sunset towards Minneapolis and reach by Sunday afternoon..Take rest Sunday night and then head for office Monday morning..

O.k that's our draft Plan..(just planned 5 mins ago)..I need help from u guys..

2. IS this Plan fine or Are we missing something..(any over calculation)..

3. I am thinking not to book any hotels so that we have some flexibility in our stay (Any way it is too late also to save $ as our trip just starts in couple of days).Is this a good idea or considering Thanksgiving week end do i need to book the hotels in advance..

4.We plan to take a Full size car (4 people..all male:-( but I somhow think a SUV is a good choice since we are going in mountains anddrive will be more comfortable..(Which one is the wise choice?.)

5.Pls help us the best places to visit considering our timelines.

Thanks a lot in advance for all your comments.

RoadtripAmerica rocks..(I am going to be a regular visitor hereafter..so much of info here!).

Default A bit optimistic!

Quote Originally Posted by Thil View Post
    We group of four people planning a road trip from Minneapolis to Rocky mountain national park for the Long week end.We have some doubts for the planning.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Glad to hear that you have some doubts...
    Start from Minneapolis @ 11/22/06 evening around 3-4 PM.
    Reach Rocky mountain (4 drivers and we want one overnight journey!)..around 2:00 PM Thursday (11/23/06).
    Let me put this into perspective, you are going to drive on the busiest day of year for roadtrips, with the threat of winter storms looming and you want to drive 932 miles in a day? Well, with four drivers and lots of discipline it can be done -- be sure to read our tips for completing a speed run. But it is going to be a very tiring day!

What is the Springs you are considering? Colorado Springs? This is way too crazy a plan. I have completed equally dumb trips -- but I wouldn't ever recommend it. A confirmation of what Buck suggests -- two people and ideally three must be awake at all times. One person should be sleeping and the other rotating shifts.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 11-20-2006 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Finished rest of thought

3. Default

Thanks for your inputs Editor.Infact Once I drove alone from Minneapolis to NewYork and back in a week end.(but no winter time..and i don't abt this forum at that time).

Expecting your advice on my other points also.

Default Too Soon Old, Too Late Schmart

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

This sounds like one of those 'coming-of-age' RoadTrips that every group of buddies has to get out of their collective system. It would be one you all long remember, not because of the wondrous things you did or saw, but because of the sheer inanity of it all. You can pull this off pretty much as outlined, I think, even the side trip to the 'Springs'. (I'm assuming this means Colorado Springs.) Just a few caveats. Thanksgiving Day weekend is the most heavily traveled weekend in the United States. By taking off without reservations, you are setting yourself up for a possible big disappointment. You really don't want to be going from motel to motel in an exhausted state trying to find one with room(s) available. Prebook. You are all going to spend a considerable time sleeping in whatever car you drive so make sure that whatever it is has a good suspension and comfortable seats. To me this calls for a big sedan, not an SUV. Finally, there is a real safety issue with driving through the night. Whoever is on duty at 3 AM is going to be bone tired, especially considering that probably no one will have gotten any sleep the day before you leave or much sleep at all in the days before your return. I think (from painful experience) that it is absolutely essential that you all schedule two man shifts for the wee hours so that the driver has a navigator as well as someone to talk to him and make sure that he is awake. If you can't do this or the navigator dozes off, cancel the trip right there. Also be ready to cancel in the face of dangerous weather. RoadTrips are great, but are not worth your (or others') lives. The danger (and the charm) of such a trip is that there is no plan so it's tough to tell you what's wrong with yours. We've all done similar trips, but in hindsight know we could have done better. But I doubt such ramblings will dissuade you and your friends - they wouldn't have stopped me at your age.

AZBuck

Default Crazy, but it could be a fun crazy!

I'm in agreement with Mark and Buck, your plan is pretty crazy, but its not that much crazier than some of the trips I've undertaken.

The one suggestion I would make, If I were doing this trip, I would certainly look for a place to stay on Saturday night driving home. The first night, overnight drive, is usually easier because your fairly well rested and you've got the adrenaline of doing this crazy trip going for you. Coming back, you'll be much more tired, and it will be much harder to keep yourselves awake. I'd plan to drive for a few hours into the night and get some good miles into Nebraska, before stopping for a good night of sleep, then wake up and finish your trip on Sunday. You might not get home until a little later into the day on Sunday, but you'll be a lot more rested during your drive, and you'll probably be a little less tired when you have to go back to work Monday morning.

6. Default

Thanks a lot for all your inputs...I know i am sounding crazy..but As you guys said the age factor makes all this crazy things in our head..

Thanks a lot guys.I will update about my experience once i am back ...

Saturday night stay for some rest is very good idea..We will follow it..

I experienced this motel stuff a little bit..Once We drove from Minneapolis to Montreal (and back) in five days(with stops in Niagarra,Toranto and Montreal)..

Montreal was not in our plan.WE wanted to end the trip with Toronto..but as said age factor played and we drove to Montreal just to take a trip in the F1 track..No reservation made in Montreal and we suffered almost 6 hours trying to find a single room there.Sure Lesson learnt...

I strongly agree all your suggestions..You guys really great by providing valuable suggestions..Hats off.Great Job..I am sure gonna part of this forum and share my experiences..

Any more suggestions are always welcome....

Default Drink, drink and fruit

Quote Originally Posted by Thil View Post
    Any more suggestions are always welcome....
    I am a veteran of "speed runs" -- even youth can not prevent all problems -- be sure you force everyone to drink twice as much water as normal on this run. Here are some healthy snack ideas -- We want to hear that you made it back alive.

Mark

Québec, Montreal, Arizona, California, France

Default Speed runs and hotel blues

Hi Thil,
    Wow, it's quite a trip you've got there! I did a couple of crazy speed runs myself and although I agree with Mark about safety, I cannot say I wouldn't do it myself. I should add that I'm still in my 20's so maybe I don't have a lot of objectivity over this matter.:-) I'll just give you this advice : go at your own pace and don't try to break any record. Don't forget that everyone needs to get some sleep at some point and if you cross that line then it becomes very dangerous for all of the occupants of the car and your buddies might get on your nerves faster than you expect! Here's a quiz to help you ensure that you and your friends are made to be road trip mates and that your trip won't end up in a catfight.:-)

No reservation made in Montreal and we suffered almost 6 hours trying to find a single room there.Sure Lesson learnt...
    Next time try the Youth Hostel, the Oratoire St-Joseph or, if you are travelling during the summer, the residences at University of Montreal or UQAM. If you prefer staying in motels, try the South shore, it's a lot less expensive than the island.

To avoid the motel issue during your upcoming trip, you could bring motel directories with you and call a few hours ahead to make sure there'll be a room for you when you get to a certain city. I did that a lot on my latest trip since I traveled in the evenings a lot. I don't usually like doing reservations, but on Thanksgiving weekend, that's worth it.

Drive safe!
    Gen

9. Default Thanks 4 ur inputs..

O.k guys..I am back from a wonderfull trip.lot of changes in the plan at last min except the destination point..

1.As per our original plan we should have started by 4:00 PM from Wednesday (11/22/06).But due to some last min work two guys dropped the trip and we were just two...We wanted to cancel the trip..but suddenly two other guys interested in the tripp..but the sad part was they don't know driving..

So If we want to make the trip it's just One driver (that'e me) and a another driver who just got his license a week back..

It was a tough decission but we decided to take the risk and roll..We started from Mpls exactly @ 7;00 PM on 11/22 and head towards Denvar,CO..

It was a long long drive..still the initial push kept us awake till 4;30 AM (11/23)...we were near end of Nebrashaka State at that time..So my 1 week experience friend took the wheel from me and he drove slowly for the next couple of hours..(around 100 miles ) ,I had a nice quick sleep within this 2 hrs...WE reached the Denver hotel by 9:00 AM (MT time...) on 11/23..

so it was a 13 hour drive including the dinner/gas stops..
    (excluding the time differenrce by CT and MT) .

We were dead tired and started sleeping in the Hotel..Slowly we woke up around 3;00 PM and started from the hotel to just check the Rocky mountain National Park...wonderfull place to view the sunset..

The next day (11/24) we went to National George Bridge (highest hanging bridge in the world) and Hot springs then back to Hotel...

Saturday (11/25) we went to Pikes Peak by drive..(Man that's great placeto go by drive..simply it's great )..and when we reached the summit (14,110 ft) we felt the trip was worth in every angle!...

We packed our things and headed towards Mpls.....so far everything was as per the Plan..But suddenly we decided why to drive back in the same way?..

So our Plan changed ..and we started our journey towards Rapid city,SD..
    It was around 450 miles from Pikes Peak and we reached Rapid city by 9:00 PM (8 hrs drive)..

Luckiely we could find a hotel in the city with available rooms..!..So had a nice sleep over saturday night and then we were fresh in sunday morning (11/26).We checked the Mt rushmore,Crazy Horse and few other places ans started our journey back to Mpls exactly @ 1:00 PM (11/26)..It was a 590 miles drive from Rapid city to Mpls ...and weather was good till Sioux falls..After that there were icy rains which slowed down our trip...

anyhow we reached Mpls by 11;30 PM (11/26)...

So as per the trip meter it was a 2589.3 miles drive (I drove 2327 miles and the rest was taken careby the newbie driver !)..

Simply It is a happy memorable trip !!..(4.5 days,2589 miles,3 nights sleep,6 states,what more you can ask !..)

thanks a lot for u guys...

So tell me some more plans for next strips..(Mpls to Texas...or Mpls to Florida)

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the Report - its good to hear you made it back alive!