1. Default Advice for times and travel for a UK traveller!

Hey everyone, me and 3 friends are embarking on a round the world trip through Australia, South America then up through Mexcio to L.A. We're wanting to do L.A. to New York and will be starting around mid-June to the end of July '07. Although this isn't exactly a road trip as we won't be driving (unfortunatley can't afford it) we will mostly be travelling by bus/train. So just a few questions for anyone who can help out....
    1. How much are we gonna get to see and how often are we gonna have to keep moving if we have 6 weeks travelling?
    2. What's the best route to go? Think at the moment I'm prefering the South purely on places that I'd like to go. But I don't really know the pros and cons of each!
    3. What is the best way to do it if we're not driving? Don't actually know how expensive it would be to rent a car and drive it compared with getting the train/bus. Any ideas?

Any answers/tips/help would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

Green County, Wisconsin

Default Mass Transit

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Not renting a car will put some significant limitations on where you'll be able to go, and how long you'll have to enjoy those places. Unfortuantly, the US is a nation of cars, meaning the long distance Bus and Train systems both leave things to be desired.

As far as costs go, your best bet will be to check out Amtrak (train) and Greyhound (bus) websites. Amtrak does have a North American rail pass for foreign tourists that could be an option for you.

If you rent a car, I suspect you'd be looking at a cost of at least $2500-3000, but there are lots of variables, and you'll certainly have to pay more if you are under 25.