1. Default New York to Virginia and onward

My name is Theresa. Three of my friends and I are planning on leaving college when it ends at the end of December and just completely skipping town. We want to get out of New York. It would be cool to visit Washington DC, and we'll probably go visit a friend in Virginia. But after that we have no idea where we are going. We will eventually settle down somewhere, rent an apartment and get jobs to support ourselves. But at the moment we have no idea where that might be. And I just realized that it will be winter soon, and that it will be cold and snowing. We have no idea what we are doing, and I'd really like some advice and help for our trip, and also some suggestions on where it might be best to settle down. Thank you.

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Welcome

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

One of the first places to check out is our planning page, whether or not you have an idea of where you're going.

Now, from the sounds of this, you're not only looking for places to visit, but places to live, correct? One of the nice things about travel is that you can experience another place for a time - depending on how long you have - without having to commit yourself to that place. I know I've been searching for the better part of 15 years for a new place to call "home".

3. Default some questions

Ok so if ur driving and ur running low on gas, what do you do to make sure you use the remaining gas efficently? Do you drive slower not to waste gas, or do you speed up to get as far as you can (and possibly to a gas station) before you run out?

And another question that would be good to have awnsered is, what do you especially need to know/do for trips during the winter being that it's cold and there will probably be snow. I know nothing about cars, and wont be driving, but I love knowing information that can be helpful.

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Fuel and driving tips

I have found that, no matter where I go, I'm never too far away from a fueling station to have to worry about how much fuel I have left (though I admit there have been some close calls!)

The key is to not get in that situation to begin with - if you're on an Interstate, the chances of being far away from a gas station is rather slim, especially in the East (I go through seven towns on my way to work, passing about 15 gas stations in 25 miles, with more being built).

As far as driving in the winter - snow usually isn't too bad, provided you have good tires on your vehicle and don't allow other drivers to push you out of your comfort zone. The thing is to not panic. Front-, all- or four-wheel drive help, but good tires on a rear wheel drive are usually sufficient in all but the worst weather.

Ice is a different animal altogether. Unless you absolutely have to drive in the ice, it is best to wait it out until the roads have been cleared. Physics doesn't seem to care how many wheel drive a vehicle has when it comes to ice.

The best advice I can give here is - if the driver doesn't feel comfortable driving in the present conditions, is to wait until the conditions have changed. They will.

Here are some other useful driving tips.

Make sure you have appropriate safety equipment - this includes some additional food and water, blanket(s), a charged cellphone, and a good driver.
    If you are heading out West, you may need snow chains - if you are even allowed to pass some areas. In the East, this generally isn't a problem, though the Appalachian country can get fairly dangerous off the Interstates (and even on them).