1. Default From Los Angeles to New York

Hi Everyone,

I have to say that this is a fantastic resource and hoping to get some help from some people here if possible.

I will be visiting USA from December 9, 2006 to March 1, 2007 from Australia.

I plan on buying a van in Los Angeles and driving it to New York. With a budget of $3000 to $4000 USD. I would like to leave the van somewhere in New York at an RV park to use again on another road trip. What are some good places to leave a car for 6 months at a cheap rate?

We're going to have to buy some things for the road such as a cooler to keep food instead of fast food, maybe some cooking tools like a steamer and water etc. I plan on leaving this stuff in the van when it's in longterm parking to use next time.

We're two 27 year old Aussie guys who want to see as much as we can but also spend some time in some places. We want to party in Las Vegas, Miami and New York and everywhere in between. Ski and Snowboard in Colorado. Visit lot's of cities and states and have a great time!

My mate hasn't been to the US before but I have been three times including NYC, Niagara Falls, Baltimore (work), Seattle, San Francisco, Santa Barbara, Mammoth, San Diego, Las Vegas and Hollywood. Plus I have been to Vancouver and Banff in Canada.

Since I know a bit about what to see and do in the US, I'm doing most of the planning here.

We will be away for Christmas and New Years Eve. I am planning on spending Christmas day (25 Dec - big Australian feast) in Mammoth to have a white Christmas. Does anyone have any other suggestions to spend Christmas day as I have already spent a fair bit of time in Mammoth but I want somewhere with snow if possible. I've had a white Christmas before but not my mate.

For NYE, we were thinking of spending that in Las Vegas. Any other suggestions on where to spend NYE would be appreciated.

Okay, time for the Intinerary -

Buy a van and do a few of the things in Los Angeles and Hollywood.

Days City State
    7 Los Angeles California
    4 Las Vegas Nevada (Arizona)
    7 Salt Lake City Utah
    7 Denver Colorado (New Mexico)
    2 Oklahoma Oklahoma
    2 Dallas Texas
    2 Houston Texas
    2 New Orleans Louisiana (Missippi, Alabama)
    2 Orlando Florida
    5 Miami Florida
    2 Jacksonville Florida
    2 Savannah Georgia
    4 Banner Elk North Carolina (South Carolina)
    6 Washington DC District of Columbia (Virginia)
    1 Baltimore Maryland
    2 Philadelphia Pennsylvania (New Jersey)
    1 New York City New York State
    2 Boston Massachusettes (Connecticut, Rhode Island)
    2 Bath Maine
    2 Charlottetown Prince Edward Island
    2 Burlington Vermont (New Hampshire)
    10 New York City New York State

I am thinking of skipping Salt Lake City (to go to ski resorts) and spending the two weeks in Colorado (ski resorts).

I am thinking of driving from LA to San Diego, Phoenix (?), if possible, do the Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon and Zion Canyon before going to Christmas destination.

We may keep driving through some cities if we're not tired and stop in between some, especially if there is something interesting to do.

I'd like to see the cheesy attractions, natural attractions, some history attractions and anything famous.

Does anyone recommend any alternatice routes?

What does everyone think??

The next road trip would probably be driving back to LA taking the Northern route.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default Difficult Logistics

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I'm a little bit confused, When you say that your budget is $3-4000, is that total or just for your van. And if it is just for the van, does that include the costs of licensing, insurance, etc?

I'd never recommend purchasing any vehicle for a roadtrip for under $3-4000. While you might find a diamond in the rough for less than that, you'd also have a pretty high likelyhood of it breaking down and needing hundreds, if not thousands of dollars for repairs. I find the $4,000 mark is about the point where you can find some really decent values on 5-10 year old cars that still have a lot of life in them.

Taxes, license fees, and insurance (espcially for a driver with no US driving record) can also add several hundred dollars to the purchase price of a used vehicle. I'd do a search of the forum for more advice and experiences from foreign visitors who've looked into buying a car in the US.

Storage will also be difficult, at least for a reasonable price. I'd probably look into renting a long term storage garage. I don't know how much it would cost for one big enough to store a van, particularly around New York, but I don't think you'll find an RV Park that will allow you to leave your van unattended for 6 months and if you did, I suspect it would be close to what you'd pay for any other secure parking area.