1. Default Advise needed - Los Angeles to Denver - Leaving December 26th

Hi everyone. I am relocating my family to Denver. We are leaving Los Angeles the day after Christmas. My wife, my 2 year old and my 4 year old. We will be driving in 2 cars. Here are my questions:

1. What is the best route with the best road conditions if it should snow?

2. Are "all weather tires" good enough or do I need to buy "snow tires"?

3. Do I need to buy chains?

4. What else should I have with me to insure that my family arrives is Denver safely?

Thank you in advance,
    Glen

Default In a "normal year"....

Quote Originally Posted by gah View Post
    Hi everyone. I am relocating my family to Denver. We are leaving Los Angeles the day after Christmas.
    That sounds like an exciting way to end the year! Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum. Most years, the heavy snowfall doesn't hit the Denver area until mid-January -- there are usually some small storms (there is one going now) in the western slopes of the Rockies -- but this is shaping up to be an El Nino year, so all bets are probably off.
    In the winter it is amost always true that the shortest route (on major highways) is the best one. For that reason, the best route would be I-15 to I-70. It is also the most scenic.
    All weather is fine.
    Absolutely and you should practice putting them on in the driveway a few times. One of our members is an expert in fitting snow chains and his site provides some tips.
    4. What else should I have with me to insure that my family arrives is Denver safely?
    Read these tips for some ideas.

Happy Planning!

Mark

3. Default Two important stops

Quote Originally Posted by gah View Post
    Hi everyone. I am relocating my family to Denver. We are leaving Los Angeles the day after Christmas. My wife, my 2 year old and my 4 year old. We will be driving in 2 cars. Here are my questions:

Thank you in advance,
    Glen
    Hello.

I drive Denver to LA about 5 times a year sometimes more. There are two important stops if you are coming East from the West. When you get to Richfield, UT fill up no matter how much or how little fuel you have. There is a 100 mile stretch ahead of you with no services whatsoever. Then when you reach Green River, UT do the same thing fill up. It's a 100 miles or so to Grand Junction before you have any substantial services. This is critical in the winter months in case you get bogged down somewhere in between. Ask about road conditions before you leave Richfield. If you have doubts just stay in Richfield until the next day. The Super 8 motel across from the Flying J truckstop is pretty nice and they allow pets. This is the last Richfield exit on the east end of town. Hope that helps.

Don

Welcome to the RTA Forum, Don!

If you take a closer look, you'll see that this thread is actually from 2006, so I'm sure the original posters trip has long since past. However, that is still good advice for others making the trip, thanks for sharing.

5. Default

Sorry for the brainfade!