Thread: Other ideas??

Québec, Montreal, Arizona, California, France

Default Other ideas??

Hi guys!

My Mom and her boyfriend want to go on a short road trip (between 2-4 days) during or after the holidays starting from Montreal. They don't want to go too far and they want it to be romantic. They enjoy both cities and small towns and love nice scenery, historic places, good food and wine, etc.

My suggestions to them were the following destinations :

-Cape Cod & Boston;
    -NYC;
    -Maine southern seacoast;
    -Amish Country Pennsylvania;
    -Ottawa;
    -Quebec City;
    -Bar Harbor, ME;
    -Lake Ontario tour;
    -White Mountains, NH;
    -Burlington and rural, Vermont;

My question is : do you have any other suggestions that I didn't think about or any romantic must sees that you know about in any of those areas (hotels or B&Bs, restaurants, etc) that is not overly expensive? Also, is there any interesting spot in the Adirondacks or White Mountains where you can get away from the skiers?

Thanks!
    Gen

Default What's Left?

You have, of course, listed just about all of the great romantic vacation spots in the northeast US and eastern Canada, but I can offer one more. It's maybe on the edge of what's doable in 4 days from Montréal, but at just about 600 miles (all freeway) can be reached in a day. That is Maryland's Eastern Shore, specifically the town of Oxford, MD. The entire town is an historic district and it sits directly on Chesapeake Bay at the end of a small peninsula. On this side of the bay there are a number of quaint small towns such as St. Michaels (quaint only at this time of year - in the summer it's a zoo), Chestertown, and Oxford itself. The Eastern Shore is also home to a number of wildlife refuges and the like - very scenic. On the other side of the bay are the cities of Annapolis, Baltimore and Washington. Both sides of the bay are just dripping in history. There are also a number of lovely inns and B&Bs as well as very nice restaurants in Oxford. My wife and I just spent a week there this fall and had a great time. I'd be happy to make more specific recommendations if this destination ends up appealing to them.

AZBuck

Default Upstate New York?

I've only been in the summer, but I remember thinking that the Adirondaks (sp?) were gorgeous and I kept wondering what they looked like in the winter.

Default Or Closer to Home

One area is the White Mountains that is not dominated by skiing is the upper Connecticut River valley, including the towns of Bethlehem, Littleton, and Lancaster in New Hampshire and St. Johnsbury in Vermont.

AZBuck

Québec, Montreal, Arizona, California, France

Default Thanks again Buck!

Thanks for the tips AZBuck! I will add MD to my list although I don't think they want to go that far. They are currently considering going snowshoeing at Mt Mégantic and stay over at some B&B in a small town nearby (Notre-Dame-des-Bois or further south at St-Venant-de-Paquette).

My mom and I are pretty familar with the Littleton and St. Johnsbury areas and we think both towns are gorgeous. Actually, my Mom prefers North Conway because of the factory outlets:oP but I always prefered Littleton and St. Johnsbury:-). I used to go to a romantic resort in Bethlehem quite often with my former partner a couple of years ago. I have good memories of that town and its people.:o)

Thanks a lot and take care!
    Gen