Default Driving from Nashville to Seattle

Hello all,

I am planning a road trip during Thanksgiving break from Nashville to Seattle. Could anyone give me any tips as to whether I should be taking I-90 via Billings, Missoula, Spokane or I-80/I-84 via Cheyenne and Boise? What troubles, if any, can I anticipate in either route? I will travel with my wife and elementary school aged son. I am trying to make this trip fun and make it like a mini vacation. Also can I get any suggestions as to what places to visit along the way, specially in order to see the spectacular landscape and vistas of the Northwest. I understand many National Parks will be closed due to Winter. I was not aware that the parks close for Winter until recently :(

Thanks a lot.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default Open for Business

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Which National Parks have you been told close for the winter, and where did you get that information?

I don't know of any park that totally closes for the winter. There may be some which have reduced access, with some roads that are not plowed, but otherwise Winter is a great time to visit the parks, when there are far fewer crowds than in the summer.

As far as routes go, you've got the chance of winter weather on any route you take that time of year. If this is a round trip, I'd look at taking one route one way and the other coming back. However, if this is just a one way trip, and the forecast looks reasonably clear, I'd probably take I-90 across South Dakota, giving you easy access to the Badlands, Mt. Rushmore/Black Hills, and Yellowstone as you work your way west.

Thank you for your reply.

I checked the Yellowstone National Park website at -
    and there it says -

Monday, November 6, 2006, all park roads close to wheeled-vehicle travel with the exception of the North Entrance to Upper Mammoth Terrace and Mammoth via Tower Junction to the Northeast Entrance.

So I am interpreting this as we will not be able to see the "Old Faithful". If I am wrong please correct me.

Thanks again.

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default All parks roads are subject to weather closures

Quote Originally Posted by jijo View Post
    So I am interpreting this as we will not be able to see the "Old Faithful". If I am wrong please correct me.
    Technically no national park ever "closes" -- it is true the winter and other seasonal storms can and do close certain roads to certain types of vehicles within certain parks. Old Faithful is open -- but you will not be able to drive there in a wheeled vehicle. Snowmobiles, horseback and other non-wheeled conveyances are the rule of the land in the winter. Just like you can't drive through certain roads in Death Valley in August during the peak of the flash flood season.

Sorry for the confusion.