Default Canada to the Yucatan

First time posting and anxious for some advice on a trip I have planned for February. I'm leaving the cold Canadian climate and plan to drive, with a buddy, all the way to Merida, Mexico.
    Part of the trip is roughed out: outside New York for the first night, but after that it gets fuzzy. We want to hit New Orleans and cross the border into Mexico at Brownsville, TX. We figure the trip, approximately 6500 km, should take 10 or 12 days.
    I'm looking for advice on routes to take, places to see, advice on crossing the US/MX border. Of course I've no worries when it comes to travelling through the US ... done that many times (it's just like driving around Canada), but I've read some stories that advise extra care and attention in Mexico. Is this true?
    And, of course, we will be returning a month or so later, so an alternate route through the States would be interesting.

Default Border Crossings

Quote Originally Posted by Willie2w View Post
    First time posting and anxious for some advice on a trip I have planned for February.
    Welcome to the Great America RoadTrip Forum. February eh? Down here that still feels like winter, which is why it was moved from the Spring Topics.
    I'm leaving the cold Canadian climate and plan to drive, with a buddy, all the way to Merida, Mexico. Part of the trip is roughed out: outside New York for the first night, but after that it gets fuzzy. We want to hit New Orleans and cross the border into Mexico at Brownsville, TX. We figure the trip, approximately 6500 km, should take 10 or 12 days.
    I don't know where in Canada you are starting from, but by my calculations if Toronto, ON was the starting the point the shortest possible distance would be 10,620 Km which is ~ 6600 miles which will require nearly 10 hours per day for each of those twelve days scheduled on the road. Doesn't leave much time for kicking back and enjoying the Mexican hospitality.

What route was the 6500 km based on? Wait a moment -- is the 6500 km the one-way route? If so, the 10-12 days is very reasonable to go down there.
    but I've read some stories that advise extra care and attention in Mexico. Is this true?
    Yeah, you don't want to get a speeding ticket in Mexico and you certainly don't want to be involved in any sort of traffic accident. You will need to obtain Mexican car insurance before entering Mexico. Beyond that, I don't have any current intel about your routes.

Mark

Default Double Cross-ing of the border

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

That's a big trip you've got planned, and I think your 10-12 day estimate should be pretty good. I believe you should be able to make it from Brownsville to Merida in as fast as 4 days.

I would do a lot of research on crossing the Mexican Border. I know there can be a lot of red tape to get the proper paperwork in order. You will need a tourist card and some other paperwork to drive into the interior. I also believe there are 2 major border crossings near Brownsville, and one is supposedly faster because it lacks major truck traffic. I can't remember which one is which however.

One thing you will also need is Mexican Auto Insurance, which you can try getting online or you can purchase as you approach the border.

Driving in Mexico can be an adventure. I was down driving along the Yucantan Coast last month, and it really was different - but in a fun way. The driving style is much more aggressive, but since everyone followed the same rules, letting faster drivers pass, etc, I never felt unsafe. You do need to stay on your toes though.

Otherwise, from my reserach, I found that most people recommend the Mexican Toll Roads, even though they are quite expensive. I also was given the advise to make sure the gas pump was zeroed out to avoid getting ripped off, I never had any problems, but it is something to keep an eye on. All gas stations are owned by the government and are full service.

And of course, knowing Spanish would be a big help. You can probably get by without it, but knowing it will help you quite a bit.