Thread: Virginia

Default Virginia

My husband and I (English) are coming over and spending a week around Denver with friends and then heading to Washington (to which we have already had a great visit) and want to explore Virginia.

Any tips on what to see and which way to go? We have 7 nights to explore what we believe to be a beautiful area.

The emphasis will be mainly on relaxation and avoiding chain hotels etc. Keen to get to know real America - not just the big cities!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Default Driving or flying?

Quote Originally Posted by BarbaraK View Post
    My husband and I (English) are coming over and spending a week around Denver with friends and then heading to Washington (to which we have already had a great visit) and want to explore Virginia.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! How are you getting from Denver to Virginia?
    The emphasis will be mainly on relaxation and avoiding chain hotels etc. Keen to get to know real America - not just the big cities!
    As an American, I think "big cities" are part and parcel of America -- I live and work in Las Vegas which at nearly 2.0 million residents still acts and feels like a small town to me. But a few of my favorite places in Virginia would include:

The so-called historic triangle formed by the towns of Williamsburg, Jamestown and Yorktown -- here is a link with a pretty good overview.

Just for fun -- the giant pencil in Wytheville

Fort Monroe and the Chamberlin Hotel -- the Chamberlin is closed but it is still fun to walk the ramparts of the old fort and go to the Casement Museum. I also like to drive in the Dismal Swamp -- it is a real misnomer.

Happy Planning!

Mark

Default Also in Virginia

In addition to Mark's suggestions, two lovely mid-sized towns that would serve as good bases to explore some beautiful countryside are Winchester and Lexington. These are at the northern and southern end of the Shenandoah Valley and Blue Ridge respectively, and would make a great double feature with the 'Historic Triangle'. There are also a ton of B&Bs in all these areas of Virginia.

AZBuck

Thanks Mark!

Am flying from Denver thru to Washington. Have had wonderful holidays in New York, Washington, Vegas, Los Angeles and San Francisco but fell totally in love with Yosemite. As have only the 7 nights to explore feel that we might actually have time to explore in Virginia. Thanks for the tips - so difficult to know from this end - all information tends to be soo general!
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 11-07-2006 at 03:20 PM. Reason: format

Default AZBuck

Thankyou! Great links - very informative and useful. Giving me a feel of what we want to see and do. Are there any specific sites for B&Bs. Have tried Trip Advisor but not too many there! As we are coming over at the end of June will we need to book in advance. Leaving Denver on the 5th July - will US holiday affect this.

Default My Dirty Little Secret

I have alluded to this in other posts, but I actually don't do much of the hunting for accommodations when my wife and I travel. She makes something of a hobby of pouring over the many B&B and Vacation Rental listings, spending copious amounts of time deciding which is best. I can offer you no better advice than to do what she does and that is to start with a web search for (TownName Bed Breakfast) and see what comes up. She does very well by picking places that offer decor that she feels comfortable with (no pictures = no booking) and tells a little bit about the host(s) and the setting. There are links to local B&Bs in each of the location websites that I provided earlier that will also help to get you started. I'm sorry I can't be much more help than that, but the beauty of the type of travel you're looking to engage in is that it is very personal in nature and only you can judge which lodgings will fulfill your needs.

AZBuck

Default Sic Semper Tyrannus - Ye Olde Dominion(e)

There are at least three Virginias that I know - the Washington, DC metro area, the Virginia beach area, and the mountains. While the first two can be fun, I prefer the third, especially the Shenandoah National Park and the Blue Ridge areas.

I often find myself in Staunton, wandering around the historic district. Lexington, Winchester, and Wytheville are also very nice places to visit, especially if you're fond of history. US-11 is one of my favorite corridors, both for personal nostalgic reasons, and because I always find something interesting along it.

If you're adventurous, however, you might want to make a day trip into the high Appalachian country - just make sure whatever you happen to be driving has good brakes!