Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadTripper Brad Guest

Default Rewriting the Road Trip

Greetings fellow road enthusiasts!

I have decided to take up a great challenge: rewriting the Wikipedia Article on the Road Trip. The article was written as more of a guide to the Roadtrip Movie genre, and not actually about the hobby.

Anyone have any cool, referened facts that they might be willing to share?

I'll let you all know when it's done!

-Brad

Default Quite the task

I hadn't looked at that before today.

That entry on there really does not reflect what the subject heading suggests, and I applaud your efforts to change that. In fact, I may have to offer up some assistance with that task!

Any article that states "road trips were invented in the early 1950's" (emphasis mine) seems to be quite narrowly focused on the popular vision of the road trip and really does a disservice to the reader. On top of that, the statement is just not true. After that first paragraph, what? Oh yeah, it's high time that this was clarified and given the respect it deserves.

Yes, I am glad that someone decided to take this on.

RoadTripper Brad Guest

Default Wonderful!

Quote Originally Posted by Mass Tim View Post
    I In fact, I may have to offer up some assistance with that task!
    Wonderful! The problem I'm having is not so much what to say, but citing it can be a daunting task. I have a nice groundwork started, it will definately need to be reworked. I'll email it to you when I'm at my home computer.

-Brad
    Last edited by RoadTripper Brad; 11-03-2006 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Formatting

Default Wikipedia -- a scary reference tool

Quote Originally Posted by Mass Tim View Post
    Any article that states "road trips were invented in the early 1950's" (emphasis mine) seems to be quite narrowly focused...
    I would say so. I would suggest that road trips have been around since the Crusades and probably for as long as humans have wondered what they might see "over the next hill." For the purposes of defining American RoadTrips, we generally use the Great Westward Expansion as our "beginning" so I would push that envelope back at least to the early 1800's.
    Brad: I have decided to take up a great challenge: rewriting the Wikipedia Article
    Brad, good fortune to you on this project. One of the pitfalls of the Wikipedia project is that many, maybe most of the entries are not factual -- the entries often sound good but they bear little resemblance to "truth".

I look forward to reading what you come up with!

Mark

RoadTripper Brad Guest

Default Hit and miss

I agree with you somewhat, Mark. Wikipedia can be hit and miss sometimes. I've come across some GREAT articles that are well cited, and others that aren't. Thats what you get with any online environment... inevitably someone will think they're an expert in something when they actually know very little facts about it.

It just ticked me off that someone would pass off an OK article on Road Trip movie genre for the Road Trip hobby/lifestyle that we've all come to enjoy.

Default Agreement

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    I would say so. I would suggest that road trips have been around since the Crusades and probably for as long as humans have wondered what they might see "over the next hill." For the purposes of defining American RoadTrips, we generally use the Great Westward Expansion as our "beginning" so I would push that envelope back at least to the early 1800's.
    Mark
    My first thought was along these lines. Even Exodus could be considered a road trip, I suppose.

I know we can come up with something vastly superior to what is there now.

Default What a nifty idea, Brad!

I'll have to pop over there and check out what they say. And I'll be glad to help a bit as well.

As for defining what a roadtrip is....while I agree that The Exodus, Crusades, Westward Ho, etc. are also kinda like a roadtrip, none of those were done for pleasure. At least not for the same type of pleasure I associate with roadtrips like we talk about here anyway. I'm thinking it would be OK to reference the fact that people have always been curious about exploring other places, I really think the true American roadtrip started after the automobile was invented and that the meat of the article should focus on that. Ya know, the first Tin Can Tourists and all that.

I had a computer problem awhile back and somehow, during the process, I lost all my Bookmarks. Darn it anyway because I had some great links to stories about a young man and another about a group of young women (I think 4 of them) who did what might be considered the first two real American roadtrips driving cars across the US sometime around 1910-1915 or so. Fascinating stuff. I'll see if I can find that information again.

Default You're right, it's bad.

Read the Wiki. I know Brad & Tim will do us proud and do a far superior article.

Found some links that might be helpful:
    Horatio's Drive: first transconstinental auto trip in 1903. I'm sure a Google will get you more info.
    Alice Ramsey: first woman to drive the route in 1909. This link is actually a brief overview of early auto travel with a snippet about Ramsey at the bottom. If you go to Amazon there are books about her trip; and Google her for more info. The Wiki article on her is pretty poor as well. She was the first woman, and I believe the only to date, inducted into the Automobile Hall of Fame.
    Blanche Stuart Scott: claimed to be the first woman but did her trip in 1910. She was also one of the first female aviators so that might be why some folks give her credit for it. A book at Amazon called Gutsy Girls evens profiles her as the first woman to make the long drive.

Sorry I don't have time to help out more but that might at least give you some good ideas. I'm sure you've thought of all of this but you might include information about some of the following:
    * Tin Can Tourists-formed in 1919 and was one of the first groups devoted to auto travel
    * Eisenhower's WWI trip across the US in the army
    * Lincoln Highway-the first transcontinental highway

If I think of anything else, I'll post it. Hope this helps a bit.

RoadTripper Brad Guest

Default Muchas Gracias!

Of course, Judy is on the ball! Thanks so much for the links, those will be increadibly helpful! WP is a stickler for citing references, so although we already know so much about road trips, and the act (er, art) of taking them... sources, sources, sources. I actually get to stay home tonight, so I'll get to get a rough draft out tonight. I will let you all know when it's up!

Default You're welcome

Here's more:

The History of American Roads (short synopsis)

The American History Museum has a pretty good website called America On the Move that might have some helpful stuff.

If I think of something else, I'll post it later.

Best wishes. I'm looking forward to reading your article.