1. Default Our first winter "GET AWAY"

My wife and I are recently retired and are planning our 1st. winter RV trip to the U.S. from Toronto Ontario Canada. We are looking at going to either Texas or Arizona in January 07. Could someone advise on the best route to take for that time of the year and how far we will have to travel to find a campground that is open year round.

Alby

Default Year Round Camping

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

A route suggestion is difficult without knowing where in Texas or Arizona you're heading, or without knowing what sort of things you'd be looking for along the way.

However, finding camping shouldn't be that difficult anywhere along your trip. Even in the northern US there are campgrounds that are open year round. Many of them have reduced services, but simply finding a place to camp shouldn't be that difficult.

3. Default Our first Winter "GET AWAY"

Actually we are either heading to Phoenix Arizona or Mission Texas [jyust north of Mexican border]. As for things along the way, it's really not a factor.

Default shortest/fastest

Well, if you don't care about what you're seeing along the way, I'd follow the advice of an online mapping program like mapquest, rand mcnally, or one of the other similar.

to Phoenix, that should give you a route something like 401/402 to Sarnia, I-69 to Indy, I-70 to St. Louis, I-44 to Oklahoma, I-40 to Flagstaff, and I-70 to Phoenix.

to Mission, Texas, I'd follow the same route to OK City, but then take I-35 to San Antonio, I-37 towards Corpus Christi, and then US-77 the rest of the way south.

Default Camping Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Alby View Post
    Could someone advise on the best route to take for that time of the year and how far we will have to travel to find a campground that is open year round.
    Not very far. I have traveled in RVs all over the continent in winter months and I can't remember ever having to drive out of my way much to find an open campground. Here are some tips about finding campgrounds -- the article was not addressing winter trips, but the suggestions are true year-round.

Yikes! I see I need to update the camping guides on that page! If you purchase a guide (recommended) be sure to get the 2006/2007 editions. I will update this information later in the week.

Mark