1. Default Pittsburgh to Los Angeles

My husband and cousin are driving from Pittsburgh to Los Angeles to bring my cousin out to school (we live in Los Angeles). The most direct route is Pittsburgh to St. Louis, Oklahoma City, Albuquerque, Flagstaff then Los Angeles. However, I am concerned with winter driving through Albuquerque and Flagstaff. Can anyone give any tips for alternate routes from either Oklahoma City or St. Louis? They are driving the day after Thanksgiving.

Tucson, AZ

Default Chances Are...

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

On average, around Thanksgiving daytime highs and nighttime lows will be around 48/20 for Flagstaff and 53/29 for Albuquerque, so snow is always a possibility. But the Interstates (I-40 and I-15) are the first roads cleared and the safest to travel. In the event of an untimely and unusual storm, your husband and cousin may have to sit out a day, but this can happen no matter what route they take. If they keep an eye on the weather as they progress across the country (I can't remember the last motel that I stayed in that DIDN'T have access to The Weather Channel) they can alter their route in real time if the need arises. The most likely alternative would be to use US-60 and US-70 from Amarillo, TX down to Las Cruces, NM and then use I-10 into Los Angeles. But I really think that the need for such a detour is unlikely.