Thread: Good Books

Default Good Books

My new job allows me a lot more reading time, but it looks like it's going to be awhile before I get a weekend off. It's the busy season, but should slow down after December. I need to live in fantasy travel world until then, though.

Anyway - I was wondering about good books. I think I've read all the books and audiobooks posted about on this site. Any suggestions for books that make you want to get in the car and explore or just cool books in general?

I'll start - I love "The Haunted Mesa" by Louis L'Amour. It takes place in the Southwest and explores the idea that the Anasazi went back into the world they were in before crossing over into this one and living in the cliff dwellings. Kind of like an alternate dimension. There's also murder and other assorted mayhem involved. It's not a typical L'Amour book - more sci-fi/mystery than anything else, but his descriptions of the characters' surroundings are just as wonderful as usual.

Next?
    Last edited by lhuff; 10-26-2006 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Stupid Typos

RoadTripper Brad Guest

Default Good Books?

Hmmm.... Good books.

They're short, but the City of Ember series is a very good option. It is actually a young adult fiction series of 2 books. It is about a town that experiences consistant night. Day is created by massive floodlamps. No one ventures from the city into the dark abyss. It should be a quick read, but it is very good.

I also recommend Hearts in Atlantis by Stephen King. It can be hard to follow, and it doesn't jive with King's normal horror styling. Actually, there is really no horror in the book. I also recommend The Green Mile.

I cant think of any others...

-Brad

Default Castle Rock

Oh, Stephen King books definitely make me wanna visit Maine. I wish there really was a Castle Rock, Maine, but I'd probably be afraid to go there. LOL

I've been on a Dickens roll recently. I think books make me want to travel to different times and cultures moreso than locations. I would love to be able to travel to the times portrayed in the works of Dickens, Melville, Hawthorne, Wharton, Hemingway, Bunyan, Chaucer, Swift, and Fitzgerald, among others, and see what those worlds were really like. I'm a bit of a history buff.

Default Everything?

Quote Originally Posted by lhuff View Post
    I think I've read all the books and audiobooks posted about on this site. Any suggestions for books that make you want to get in the car and explore or just cool books in general?
    Laura, that would be very impressive! We have published reviews for over 75 audio books alone and I think our total count is ~ 200 . You have read them all?

Mark

5. Default Great Plains

One of my favorite road trip books is Great Plains, Ian Frazier's account of his travels in search of the culture and history of the "great American desert." Based on several drives traversing the length of the Plains, Frazier succeeds in tying the past and the present together. Reading his book (and re-reading it), I always immediately begin planning my own journey there. In fact, I got it off the shelf today, and already have next summer's adventure plotted on my map. -Bob

Default I read a lot!!

Mark - lets put it this way - I've read four books in the last 3 weeks (3 of them over 400 pages long and a Jane Austen Novel). It's a good kind of addiction. :)