Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hitchhiking

1. Default Hitchhiking

I have a quick question. Well, when I graduate, I tentatively plan to take a long trip across Europe or a long trip across the United States. I've heard that it isn't safe at all to hitchhike anymore. I believe it, I was just wondering what you guys thought about it. Do you think it would be possible to hitchhike from the East Coast all the way to the West Coast and then back?

Personally, I wouldn't. Not only is it not safe, discounting all the psycho's out there who will do horrible horrible things to you, the drivers on the road just aren't paying enough attention and are more likely to run you over than to pick you up. Not to mention it's also illegal in most states anyways...

RoadTripper Brad Guest

Default Don't hitchhike... share the ride.

I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I would assume that 95% of the time you could hitchhike with no problems. HOWEVER, it's that 5% that scares me! I personally wouldn't do it unless absolutely neccisary.

Instead of hitch-hiking, perhaps you could share the ride... as in pre-arrange 'hitches' from point to point. We do have an entire forum about ride-sharing.

In my opinion, both are the same... the only difference is you've talked with the person a little bit if you do a ride share rather than hitchhiking, but you're still climbing into a vehicle with someone you really don't know.

I guess it all comes down to gut feelings.

-Brad

Québec, Montreal, Arizona, California, France

Default Mixed feelings part 2

Like Brad I have mixed feelings about this. Personally, as a woman I would NEVER do it. I did it a couple of times as a teenager with some friends in my area and that's about it. My parents weren't aware of course, they would have killed me!:o) Today, I'd never do it, I'd rather walk a 100 miles than hitch-hike. One of my girl friend's son is a regular hitch-hiker. He travels cross-country (US and Canada) at least 5-6 times a year and he never had a bad experience so far. The fact that he's 6'2", weighs 250 pounds has a beard and looks a little bit like the wild man of Borneo probably helps a little:-), although it must be hard for him to get a ride with a look like that. However, I believe that even if I was a rough and tough kind of guy, I would try to avoid hitch-hiking, mainly because of the above mentionned 5% and also because it is illegal in certain areas.

Gen

Default The Hitcher

Looking at this from the other side, the driver's side - I wouldn't pick up a hitchhiker (especially those two guys I saw on I-40 outside of Amarillo! - who hitchhikes on an Interstate, anyway?)

On the same track as findapath, the areas where you're most likely to find a ride, the most heavily-traveled sections of road, are the least likely to be pedestrian-friendly. And approaching people in the mall parking lot will probably end up in a court case.

Default Another perspective

Quote Originally Posted by Aboslet1 View Post
    Do you think it would be possible to hitchhike from the East Coast all the way to the West Coast and then back?
    As another driver and also one who has hitched a few times.... I still routinely pick-up hitchhikers. I know that this is not a very responsible act -- given my role on RTA, but I like talking to people who hitch. I have written on this Forum before about this issue and usually get slammed from my fellow commentators --

I have met some really unique characters this way. I have also picked up a couple of people that were... troubled and the ride and the predictable afterwards was a little dicey. I know a woman who has been traveling around the USA for over thirty years who hitches just about everywhere.

It would be an adventure. Adventures always carry risk.

Mark

Default My story

I know a woman who has been traveling around the USA for over thirty years who hitches just about everywhere
    Well, she got lucky! When I was about 16, I had to hitch-hike 2-3 times by myself. One time, I was in Sherbrooke and I missed the last bus to my friend's house. There was no phone booth around that would allow me to call a cab or my friend and all the stores were closed. So I decided to hitch a ride. I got picked up by a man in his 50's. As soon as I got in the car, he took off, he locked the doors and he tried to paw me. He put his gross hand on my thighs and began to talk dirty. He wanted me to put my hand on his thighs too. I was so scared I didn't want to push him away at first. I had discreetely and quietly unlocked the door on my side and I waited until we got to a red light. As soon as I had a chance, I grabbed his you-know-what and squeezed them as hard as I could and plunged out of the vehicle. He was so surprised and hurt that he didn't even slap me or try to stop me from getting out. I ran to the other side of the street trying to find a phone booth or a 24/7 convenience store. I turned around and I could see him take off real fast...in the other direction. Whew! Needless to say that was the last time I ever hitch-hiked, even though the 2 other rides were ok.

As another driver and also one who has hitched a few times.... I still routinely pick-up hitchhikers.
    If I was a guy, I'd definitely pick-up hitch-hikers too. Actually, I do sometimes but I only pick-up women. I met some very nice and colourful people that way. As far as I can remember, my Dad always picked up hitch-hikers, regardless of how bad they looked and never had any trouble. As a child, I was fascinated with them and I dreamed about "becoming" one someday.:-) The ones who fascinate me the most these days are the ramblers you often see in the south west, you know those hobo-looking guys who sit on a pile of clothes and don't have any particular place to go? I bet they are the greatest storytellers ever.

Gen

RoadTripper Brad Guest

Default Close Call!

Wow, Gen... talk about a close call! Glad to hear it turned out well... and quite funny! Probably shocked him good!

Default 6'3", 185# No Help

Gen, I had an almost identical experience. Being a large male did NOT prevent the hand to the thigh. My out was to claim that I was in a hurry and promise to meet him again the next day. Last time I ever hitched.

AZBuck

Default Adventures

Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    Wow, Gen... talk about a close call! Glad to hear it turned out well... and quite funny! Probably shocked him good!
    Yeah it's kind of funny when you think about it afterwards, but he was much bigger than me and it could have turn out pretty badly too. The only thing that saved me is that I didn't panick.

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck
    Being a large male did NOT prevent the hand to the thigh. My out was to claim that I was in a hurry and promise to meet him again the next day. Last time I ever hitched.
    Wow, good thing for him you were not a violent individual! Did you report him? As for me, unfortunately I didn't have enough time to take a look at the guy's licence plate and it was too dark in the car for me to notice anything relevant about him.:(

Gen