1. Default Las Vegas to Los Angeles in winter

My family and I are considering a mini trip to Los Angeles when we visit my parents in Las Vegas over Christmas break. I am very hesitant since my parents have had bad weather on several of their trips around the area (vegas). I am wondering if anyone has ever driven this route over the Christmas to New Years break. Also looking at the Rose Parade or Disney (with our 10 year old). Any suggestions would be great. Thanks...

Default I'd be more worried about traffic...

While there is a chance of seeing some bad weather, I really don't think its something you need to be that worried about. Quite frankly, considering the number of people who travel between the two cities over the holidays, I'd say your bigger problem will be traffic. I wouldn't be surprised to see heavy traffic add an extra 1-2 hours to the trip if you end up going during peak times.

Default Bad weather?

Quote Originally Posted by kickenit View Post
    My family and I are considering a mini trip to Los Angeles when we visit my parents in Las Vegas over Christmas break.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! I drive this route 2-3 times each month and while I have seen severe weather at times along the way, the last time I can remember was February 2004.
    I am very hesitant since my parents have had bad weather on several of their trips around the area (vegas).
    What constituted the "bad weather" and when. I am a resident of Las Vegas, on the road somewhere at least once a week and I can't remember when we last had some "bad weather".
    I am wondering if anyone has ever driven this route over the Christmas to New Years break.
    It is possible to encounter snow and rain along this route during that period, but like Moderator Michael has suggested, the biggest problem tends to be the extra traffic. A relaxed pace from Las Vegas to Pasadena (the Rose Parade) is about five hours. I routinely drive this distance in four hours and, on occasion have made it in less than three and half hours -- but I wouldn't recommend that!!!!
    Also looking at the Rose Parade
    Possibly the best part of the rose parade when you are a kid is to go to decorating barns 2-3 days before the event. It is pretty cool to see how the floats are covered with flowers --- Just about every 10-year old is going to love Disneyworld.

Mark

4. Default Thanks

Thank you so much for your help. Your information is so helpful. I didn't even think of going to the rose parade barns. It sounds better than Disney. Is there a cost to get in or tickets to buy.

Thanks for the driving informaion. My parents had me totally freaked out. We tend to drive everywhere and my husband wanted to drive from MN to NV via Montana (where the mountains are lower). However, we have a 9 year old car without 4 wheel drive and my dad told me not to come if we were going to drive. He would be too stressed out...

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

5. Default Floats while they are being decorated

If you want you can also help decorate the floats -- since they are fresh flowers, they have to decorated just a few days before New Years for the Rose Bowl. Or you can just come watch the flowers go on..

http://www.tournamentofroses.com/eve...decorating.asp

Also -- regarding Disneyland. Just be aware now there are 2 Disneyland parks in Anaheim right next to each other -- Disneyland and California Adventure. If you buy a ticket to one, it may not include admission to the other, so you need to check to see what you are buying a ticket for.

I hate to say it, I grew up not far from Disneyland and went multiple times a year growing up, but its way outpriced itself now.

There are other places around too -- ranging from the beach (yep, you can see 80 degree days in December on the SoCal beaches) to Knotts Berry Farm to Legoland to Universal Studios to Magic Mountain etc. Lots of places to go and things to see.

Default If you'd like to make your parents flip out...

Considering their reaction to your possibly driving cross country, and what they've defined as bad weather in their area, I get the impression that your parents are, shall we say, a bit overprotective when it comes to your travel safety.

Really, there is no reason to be that concerned about driving cross country, even in December. The interstate system is extremely well maintained, and even in the worst storms, its rare for a freeway to be shut down for more than a couple of days.

As fars as your car goes, 9 years really isn't that old, as long as it is well maintained. And to be honest, in 98% of winter interstate driving situations, all 4 wheel drive is going to do is give you a false sense of security.

Just keep one thing in mind, if you did decide to drive and you wanted to avoid the higher mountain passes, it would be much faster to head to I-80 through Wyoming than trying to cross the Rockies in Montana (unless you live in far NW MN and would take I-94 through ND).