Thread: Where to go?

1. Default Camping?

Ok so im 17, and you know i jsut need to get out, i need to get away from people at the moment, you know jsut to think...i want to go out maybe for like 5 days but my concern is camping and such. I cant stand not being able to shower or brush my teeth, so my question is, does anyone know if i can just stop in at a camp ground and get a site even though im just 17?

Default Shouldn't be a problem

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Camping is a great way to get out there, and I really don't think you'll have a problem with your age. In all of the many places I've set up camp, I can't think of anywhere where I've even seen age listed on the registration form. I'd probably stick to public campground like state parks to be on the safe side though. I could possibly see a private campground having a problem with your age, but even then I'd say it wouldn't be an issue at the majority of places.

3. Default Where to go?

Im just looking for a vacation, i live in minneapolis Minnesota. I dont really care how far away it is or anything. What im looking for is a place with mountains that is relativly quiet and i can relax at the tops of some mountains. Im only planning a 5 to 7 day trip and I dont want to travel on back roads-I prefer highways.
    Any tips would greatly appreciated cause i really can't decide where to go

Default Badlands would be my choice

Quote Originally Posted by Pyoroi View Post
    Im just looking for a vacation, i live in minneapolis Minnesota. I dont really care how far away it is or anything. What im looking for is a place with mountains that is relativly quiet and i can relax at the tops of some mountains
    Well the Rocky Mountains would certainly qualify, but even closer and offering plenty of solitude would be the Badlands of South Dakota. If you walk, more than fifteen minutes away from the highway, you probably won't see anyone else all day. I like going to the badlands and hiking -- it helps clear my head. Just make sure you are prepared -- carry lots of water -- even in October, it is possible to get into trouble in a hurry in the badlands. Wind Cave NP is also pretty cool. To get a taste of what South Dakota has to offer to you as a roadtrip "destination" read this field report by Peter Thody! Ignore all of the stuff about the bars -- being 17 you probably won't be participating in those places. Also look at this thread that addresses solo roadtripping.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 10-24-2006 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Added link to South Dakota field report

Default The Black Hills?

I'd say heading for the Black Hills (which, despite their name, actually are mountains) would be ideal for your timeframe. A loop using I-90 to take you out to SD and WY and then heading north before taking I-94 back through ND would be close to ideal considering your timeframe.

You could probably make Colorado under your timeline too, but it wouldn't be as relaxing of a pace. Since this is likely your first roadtrip like this, I'd stick with the Dakotas for this trip.