1. Default should english girl brave the big sur in february?

Hello,

I want to ask some advice concerning a planned trip to California in February 2007.

We want to travel from LA to Frisco primarily using the coast road. I really want to see the big sur but having consulted my lonely planet guide am now felling a little put off. It says that storms during the winter sometimes destroy parts of the highway and that I'd be a fool to go at that time?

Anyone driven along Big Sur during Feb? Am I overreacting? Help!

Lexie
    Last edited by lexie; 10-24-2006 at 07:48 AM. Reason: atrocious spelling

Default Relax!

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I think you are overreacting a bit. Yes there is a chance of storms, and if the storms are bad, there is the possibility of a mudslide making the road impassable. However, if that does happen, the closed sections of road will be marked, and you'll just have to find another way around that area. You probably won't have any problems at all, and I certainly wouldn't let the possibility of having a problem stop you from taking your trip, at least not several months in advance.

3. Default

Thanks Mike.

Maybe my English hesitancy can be quelled in time. Any decently budgetted cabins in that area? Ones that don't resemble that cabin in the evil dead films?
    What's the weather like in the big sur area in Feb?

Default Nice time of year if you like rain

Quote Originally Posted by lexie View Post
    Any decently budgetted cabins in that area? Ones that don't resemble that cabin in the evil dead films?
    There is a dearth of discount lodging anywhere along the Big Sur. This is high buck real estate and I can't recall any discount cabins (that are available to visitors). For instance, right at Big Sur is the Ripplewood Resort that does have cabins, but these go for at least USD $100 per night. The best "deals" along the coast -- are at the state parks -- but you will need a tent. Another place that is worth checking would be bunking at the New Camaldoli Hermitage (Benedictine monks). One can find inexpensive lodging in the Monterey bay area and down at San Luis Obispo
    What's the weather like in the big sur area in Feb?
    In a normal year, the temps will be in the low to mid 60's (F) and as low as mid to high 40's (F). Skies will generally be partly cloudy and there is often a little drizzle in the mornings. On those relatively rare clear days, the views are stunning because the fog bank that lives on the coast in the summer is gone! But 2006-2007 is shaping up to be an "El Nino" winter weather pattern and there is a good chance that much of February will see rain along the coast -- probably heavy at times.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by lexie View Post

Anyone driven along Big Sur during Feb? Am I overreacting? Help!

Lexie
    Lex- just go!! It'll be hit or miss. You could have bright shiny skies and perfect temps, or driving rain. It's fun even in rain though (been there, done that!) This spring, Hwy 1 was indeed closed at Lucia due a fairly decent slide, but it opened up just in time (they just dumped gravel in the hole!!!) for our ride through there in mid-April. Went through there again 2 weeks ago and it was unchanged, same gravel (only about 100 yards long).

Do a quickie search on this forum, as there's lots of threads on Hwy 1 Big Sur (you can search under my user name too for previous posts on it).

Don't miss Julia Pfieffer SP, Hearst Castle, the Bixby Bridge, and if you don't mind a bit of gravel, even try the 'Old Coast Rd' at the Bixby Bridge. Good restaurants are Rocky Point (10 miles south of Carmel), then comes the Ventana and Nepenthe. Expensive, but great view!