Default Where would you go for a Halloween road trip?

Where would you go for a Halloween road trip?
    While I was lying in bed last night I was thinking about places I have been on past road trips. Deadwood and Virginia City come to mind, both city’s rich in history and rightly proud of their historic value. Yet in my own back yard there is more documented history than anywhere in the United States. New England has a lot to offer and should not be neglected when planning a road trip. Now that fall has arrived the colors are outstanding! But there is much more to New England than the colors of fall.

In Salem Massachusetts well before the American Revolution in the late 1600’s many people were accused and convicted of practicing witchcraft. Many believe they were burned to death at the stake. Although in reality they were actually hung to death. The Witch House, home of Judge Jonathan Corwin, is the only structure still standing in Salem with direct ties to the Witchcraft Trials. Salem is loaded with Museums the most famous is the Salem Witch Museum. Salem is not only filled with history but it’s a great place to visit on Halloween.

Another great place to visit on Halloween is Fall River Ma. home of Lizzie Borden. The location of the most widely publicized crime of the 19th century! The true story of the 1892 hatchet murders of a wealthy businessman and his wife found brutally murdered in their Victorian home in Fall River, Massachusetts. Lizzie their youngest daughter was accused but never convicted of the murders. The Lizzie Borden case has mystified and fascinated those interested in crime for over one hundred years. The original house where the murders occurred still stands today. It is now a bed and breakfast, but odds are you will never get a room there especially on Halloween! The waiting list to sleep there is just too long but you may be lucky enough to take a tour through the house.

Not far from Fall River is Newport R.I. a great seaport where what was probably the first act of open resistance to British rule occurred on July 9, 1764. Crewmembers from the British schooner ST. John attempted to carry off an alleged deserter from Newport. The townspeople forcibly resisted this act, and took the opportunity to seize Fort George. The fort's cannon were then turned upon the British frigate Squirrel and eight shots were fired. Newporters attacked another British ship in 1769, the armed sloop Liberty. This time, however, they seized the ship and scuttled it at the end of Long Wharf. In 1772 Rhode Islanders in the west bay caught the British ship GASPEE and burned her to cinders, just a few miles from the city of Providence.
    During late October the whole city celebrates the season with spook-tacular events like the Horror Film Festival, Sea Witch Costume Ball, hayrides, tarot card readings and more. To really get into the spirit of the season, consider braving the Newport Ghost tour, take the lantern-led evening stroll down historic Newport’s shadowy lanes and discover the ghosts, ghouls, and legends of the city by the sea. You could top that off with interactive Murder Mysteries at the Astor’s Beachwood Mansion or the spooky tours like Fortress of Nightmares at Fort Adams.

Remember the Pilgrims landed in Plymouth in 1620 so history is rich in New England as are the ghostly tales. Perhaps stop in Boston and check out some of the cemetery’s that are hidden within the city.

I’m sure Mass Tim can add to this thread.

Québec, Montreal, Arizona, California, France

Default Haunted destinations

Very interesting stories Uclid. Thanks for sharing. I've always enjoyed Boston, Salem and Newport, but I never had the opportunity to celebrate Halloween there.

Another place I would definitely go on Halloween night is on a Haunted Walks guided tour in Ottawa or Kingston. Quebec City also has its own history of ghosts and witchcraft even though it is not as bloody and famous as the Salem trials. To my knowledge, only one person was executed in 1661 : Daniel Voil, a New France colonist. In 1662, Rene Besnard was imprisoned because he apparently put a spell of "permanent impotence" (!!) on his ex wife's lover. That guy eventually remarried and had...12 children!

How about staying overnight at haunted hotels, auberges and hostels?

In Ottawa, they turned a former prison into a hostel. One of the cell is apparently haunted by the ghost of a hanged men. I heard that if you dare to spend the whole night in the cell, they let you stay for free.

In Foster, Quebec, L'Auberge du Joli-Vent has a friendly ghost who shut doors in the middle of the night and make occasional appearances in the mirror.

It has been said that strange lights can be seen in some inoccupied rooms at the Pirate Haus Inn in St. Augustine, FL.

Happy Halloween everyone!
    Last edited by Quebec Gen; 10-17-2006 at 02:26 PM.

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Fall in New England

All of the places that Uclid mentioned are not only good places to visit around Halloween, but anytime of year. Boston is especially fun in the Spring.

Other sites and events around here -

Pumpkin Regatta - the first one was held a couple of weeks ago. Too late for this year, but an interesting event nonetheless.

America's Stonehenge - how old is this thing?

Old Indian Cemetery
    - as far as I know, there are no Natives buried here, but several veterans of the French&Indian and Revolutionary Wars - and the man that introduced asparagus to the US. Many of the cemeteries in Massachusetts are steeped in history - we've got Mother Goose, John Hancock, and Norman Rockwell, to drop a few names. Many of the older graves feature headstones with carvings made even more eerie by the season. (I once worked in a graveyard at this time of year).

Keene, NH Pumpkin Festival - every year they try to break the world's record for the most lit pumpkins in a single location.

And there is still, of course, opportunity to catch the annual foliage show!

Keithville, LA

Default Jefferson, TX or New Orleans, LA

Both cities have longs histories of mystery, murder and mayham. I'm sure New Orleans' past is familiar to many, but I bet Jefferson's isn't. Having been on ghost tours in both cities I'd have to say that Jefferson wins. Hands, or other ghostly appendages, down.

Jefferson is a little East Texas town about 15 miles north of Marshall along Highway 59. During the mid to late 1800s Jefferson was the last port of call into the wild wild west from New Orleans. The big steamships would go up the Mississippi River into the Red River through Shreveport and take Big Cypress Bayou into Jefferson. As the last port of call Jefferson soon developed a reputation. Lots of murders, thievery, prostitution and general debauchery. However, the army corp of engineers put a stop to this when they dug Cross Lake in Shreveport and lowered the water table in the Bayou.

The ghost tour/ history lesson walked us through the small downtown area that still is comprised of the old buildings and houses. Jefferson almost died during the latter part of the 20th century and there are many tales of families being forced to move and grass growing in the streets. Slowly but surely, thanks to the Main Street project and the will of the residents the town has taken on a new life as a bed and breakfast town with lots of shopping and antiques.

However, its past has left its mark and many of the old buildings have been the scenes for murders and other tragedies. The Travel Channel ( I think) even did a feature on the Jefferson Hotel as one of the most haunted inns in America. My guide had worked as a desk clerk there and regaled us with tales of all the creepy things she had seen. Forget about shadowy figures in the corner in this hotel. We're talking the ghosts like to get in bed with you and swing from the chandeliers. I stayed at a wonderful Bed and Breakfast and was happy to learn that the only ghost living there was a helpful one that had awakened previous occupants during a fire.

Many people on the tour took pictures of orbs and there were several times that I felt chills going up my back and got the feeling that I was being watched. I'm sure most of it was the coolness of the April night and the absolute panic being experienced by several people around me.

They said that there are different routes depending on the time of year you go there. Hmmm - that may be how I spend Halloween this year.

5. Default Arizona ghosts

In Arizona, a Halloween adventure could take in the "Ghost City" of Jerome, or a visit to the Hotel Vendome in Prescott.

Ghosts, of course, abound in Jerome, and there is nothing more mysterious than the sight of Jerome in the night, on the side of Mingus Mountain, viewed from 20 miles away on I-17, lights twinkling in the distance.

At the Vendome, the resident ghost is Abby, a former owner of the establishment whose husband abandoned her back around the turn of the twentieth century. She was chronically ill, and it is said she starved to death. She and her cat are said to haunt the hallways and the room (No.16) where she lived her last few months after hubby's departure (the cat also came to a tragic end after Abby died). Do I believe in ghosts? No... but I felt a strange and other-worldly chill on the back of my neck while climbing the staircase outside Abby's room at the Vendome. You should probably check it out for yourselves! Bob

I did see a show on the travel channel about Atchison Kansas, supposedly the most haunted town in the USA. Has anyone been there and have anything to say about it?

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default I would re-trace some of these stories

Quote Originally Posted by uclid View Post
    Where would you go for a Halloween road trip?
    Megan recently reviewed a book written by Andrea Lankford -- it is a VERY entertaining compilation of ghost stories and scary places found in and around national parks in the USA. We have listed four books that could act as roadtrip guides for such a Halloween caper on the site front page.

For starters though, I would drive to Lake Superior and try and get a glimpse of Pressie and then perhaps I would head for Mammoth Cave which is reputed to be the most haunted cave in the Americas. One of the early cavers was killed there and several rangers have heard and seen very odd stuff in that cave.

8. Default More haunted places..

Hmm.. For SoCal area there are a bunch of options I think

There's a "haunted Hollywood tour" which has several houses which are supposedly haunted. Heck, the Bates House is still there at Universal Studios back lot too..

Then there's the Queen Mary in Long Beach -- stay the night in the hotel and listen for the ghosts that supposedly inhabit the engine room and pool area.

And of course the Coranado Hotel in San Diego has one room that's a classic haunt -- want to spend the night??

Then there's a ghost town or two out in the desert -- Calico, ZZyzx, or Bodie or elsewhere.. Just go out in the middle of no where and listen to the wind howl at night.

But if you're in a social mood -- the Halloween Haunt at Knotts Berry Farm is very popular..

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default Skidoo -- Out in the Howling Desert

Quote Originally Posted by Larrison View Post
    Then there's a ghost town or two out in the desert -- Calico, ZZyzx, or Bodie or elsewhere.. Just go out in the middle of no where and listen to the wind howl at night.
    Good point, that reminds me of the time that Megan, Marvin and I went looking for a ghost in the desert -- read about the result of our ghostly expedition here.

As an aside -- Zzyzx is not really a ghost town -- it was built on the ashes of a former military fort, but I don't recall anyone ever dying there. Doc Springer buildt a health spa there but he failed to gain the blessing of the BLM and the IRS and lost the property. These days, it is run by a University research group and is pretty active. Calico is also pretty dang lively to be a real ghost town and Bodie only seems forlorn in the winter months. But the hills of southern California are full of abandoned mining settlements and some of those are down-right scary!

Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 10-18-2006 at 11:58 AM. Reason: added some navigational commentary