1. Default Road Trip out West for christmas holiday

Okay guys, Need help. I wanted to plan a road trip for Christmas Break. I have a 5, 9, and 15 year old. We live near Atlanta, but were planning on flying out west, either Las Vegas, or Arizona or Utah, and then maybe going to Grand Canyon, or Bryce Canyon and the 4 corners. Have never been out there before, and wanted to have a good time, without too many crouds, but were hoping for something reasonable price wise. We would like to see snow at some point also. Does anyone know how crowded those places are at that time? We don't mind driving, but would like to keep it separated a little, and maybe no more than a 4 hour or 5 hour stretch.

Québec, Montreal, Arizona, California, France

Default Holiday Vacations

Road Greetings Moglie and welcome to the RTA Forum!

I have a 5, 9, and 15 year old.
    That's quite a crew you've got there! It's going to be an interesting trip that's for sure!:-)

We live near Atlanta, but were planning on flying out west, either Las Vegas, or Arizona or Utah, and then maybe going to Grand Canyon, or Bryce Canyon and the 4 corners.
    Unfortunately, you didn't tell us how much time you have for that trip. It's a little hard to suggest itineraries when we don't have that essential information.

I know for a fact that the road to the north rim of the Grand Canyon will be closed so if you would like to go to Bryce Canyon and see the GC afterwards, you would have to drive all the way around to the south eastern part of the GC to get to the south rim, which is doable depending on how much time you have. Here's a recent thread about a similar trip that starts in Las Vegas, goes all around the GC and then back to LV.

If you go to Four Corners, don't miss Monument Valley (highway 163) en route. Canyon De Chelly is just a couple of hours south of Four Corners and so is Petrified Forest.

Have never been out there before, and wanted to have a good time, without too many crouds[...] Does anyone know how crowded those places are at that time?
    In my experience, the most crowded places in that area are Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon and bigger cities such as Las Vegas and Flagstaff. Even so, it is nothing compared to the coasts. However, just keep in mind that anything can happen during Xmas time, meaning that places that are otherwise not crowded may be packed with people.

but were hoping for something reasonable price wise
    Usually, if you stay out of more "upscale" chains, you can easily find reasonably priced lodging virtually everywhere in the south west....But since you'll be travelling during the holidays most hotels will probably jack up their prices and you won't be able to get any rebate. However, I believe that if you don't mind staying in smaller towns and at Mom & Pop motels you could probably find a couple of decent priced rooms.

We would like to see snow at some point also.
    You might see some if you go to Bryce and in the area of Flagstaff and Sedona.

Good Luck!
    Gen

3. Default 1 week

We were planning on going for about a week. We are flexible enough that we could probably add a day or 2 on if necessary. Also, have you heard anything about rainbow bridge monument? They said in December they have boats that only go out on Saturdays to get there, and we would enter Lake Powell area from Page Arizona. Was just curious if it was worth the effort or save for another trip. With the North Rim being closed, how much time would we need to allot for Grand Canyon? would 1 or 2 nights be enough? Thanks again for your help.