1. Default moving home to minnesota from hawai

in january!! ok i know, i'm nuts.
    but i am shipping the car to L.A. and my 21 year old daughter and i are driving cross contry. we want to go thru las vegas, and i am kind of leaning towards going thru flag staff. but what ideas does anyone have for fun things to see and do from there on. such as, is there anything to do in nebraska, or do you just put the car in cruise control and take a long nap?? looking forward to ideas. (oh heah, i have a small dog, any idea for dog friendly hotels)
    thanks
    aly

Québec, Montreal, Arizona, California, France

Default Winter driving, attractions and pets

Welcome to the RTA forums Alyson!

in january!! ok i know, i'm nuts.
    Looks like this forum is full of them. Crazy people like me and you who want to travel during the winter despite the raging snow and ice storms, despite the cold:o)) I'm just kidding of course. Winter driving can actually be a lot of fun when you know how to handle it. If you drive safe and use these winter driving tips, you should be fine. I never had any accident and I live in snow conditions ~7 months a year. My secret to safe winter driving is simply driving at my own pace. But be sure to bring some essentials : blankets, scarf, hats, gloves, shovel, traction aid kit, chains if necessary, flashlight, etc just in case.

we want to go thru las vegas, and i am kind of leaning towards going thru flag staff. but what ideas does anyone have for fun things to see and do from there on.
    If I were you, instead of going east after Vegas, I would head north to Valley of Fire State Park, Zion NP, Bryce Canyon NP, Canyonlands, Arches NP, catch I-70 and drive this very scenic stretch that goes through the San Rafael Swell, accross the Rockies all the way to Denver (chains recommended). Then if you want to stick to interstates, you could use I-76 to I-80.

is there anything to do in nebraska, or do you just put the car in cruise control and take a long nap?? looking forward to ideas.
    Nebraska is one of my favourite States. I never understand why people would find it boring, there is so much to see there, especially if you are history buffs. Of course, you can always stay on I-80 and put the car on cruise control, but you'd miss a lot of interesting sites.

Highway 26 in the western portion of the State follows more or less the path of the Oregon Trail. My favourite sites are : Ash Hollow Park and Windlass Hill, Chimney Rock, Scotts Bluff Nat'l Mon. -- where you can look for wagon ruts made by the emigrants who travelled through that area in the 19th century. Another unique Nebraska attraction is the Great Platte River Road Archway Monument over I-80 in Kearney. Council Bluffs (Iowa) has a neat museum called Western Historic Trails Center where you can learn about all the different trails that existed throughout the US. Also don't miss the Union Pacific Railroad Museum in the same town.

(oh heah, i have a small dog, any idea for dog friendly hotels)
    Here are some suggestions of guidebooks for you.

Drive safe!
    Gen

3. Default thanks gen

for the response,
    i have only been back in the winter 2X since 1980, and think i might not do too well with chains snow and heights (special all at once), so i will probably stick to the southern route. BUT if i where to go north, how does one go about getting chains put on your car? do you just go to a shell station and purchase and they install? in minnesota we just had winter tires, no need for chains, so they are foriegn to me. the other times i have dirven thru nebraska it was alway an "OK we can almost see minnesota" type trip. i will have to look into some of your suggestions. and thanks for the pet book recomendations.
    i am excited about this move, and want to make the trip back home memorible.

any more ideas?
    aly