1. Default WA to CA - cheapest car options?

I'm looking at doing a roadtrip from Seattle to San Diego/LA in the very near future, and am not sure whats the best (cheapest & easiest) way to get a vehicle.

My original plan was to buy an old bomb in Seattle for around $500, and then sell it in San Diego.
    I'm from Australia, where car buying seems to be much simpler (at least to the few people I've spoken too).
    What is required to buy & sell a car, other than handing over a wad of cash and signing a piece of paper? (and possibly paying some transfer fee?)

Alternatively, is there any rental place in Seattle that people would recommend for one-way rental? I have been VERY disapointed with the quotes I have been given so far:
    Alamo, Advantage & Budget: ~$240+/week [total: $1032 to $1200 for 3 weeks]
    Enterprise, Rent-a-wreck, Dollar: no one-way available.
    I was hoping for a maximum of $600 for the trip (which was based mostly on normal car rental fees I've seen, from $110 to $170/week)

People have mentioned to me the possibility of people/car places looking to move cars from one state to another - any suggestions where to look into that?

So - recommendations to aquire a car - how to buy/sell, cheapest rental, or transporting a car for someone else... what do people recommend for the budget concious?

Québec, Montreal, Arizona, California, France

Default Common topic

Hi Fruchle and welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

I'm looking at doing a roadtrip from Seattle to San Diego/LA in the very near future, and am not sure whats the best (cheapest & easiest) way to get a vehicle.
    Although this is not my cup of tea, renting/buying a car is a very common topic on this forum. You might want to take a look at similar threads like this one posted by someone from Scotland. You can use the search function to find more. Be sure to check out our International visitors page.

Good luck!
    Gen

3. Default

ah, yup, relised the default forum view didn't go back far enough, so now I've read some great threads on the subject.

New, but related question: What is the least amount and cheapest insurance you can get quickly and easily in Washington State? What is the minimum legal requirements for insurance (if any) to drive a car? I presume that, unlike Australia where basic 3rd party insurance is tied to the car (and its registration), I have to get my own insurance for the period I drive it?

Default Drive-Away Programs

Quote Originally Posted by fruchle View Post
    IPeople have mentioned to me the possibility of people/car places looking to move cars from one state to another - any suggestions where to look into that?
    There are about 10-15 firms who provide this service. There is only I know of that will take "casual" drivers (without commercial driving licenses) -- generally these programs work OK, if you are not trying to get to a specific location on a specific date (on your calendar) -- here is the information we have about Drive-Away companies. I just looked at the "Available Car List" and there are a number of options that might work --

Mark