I come from Manchester UK, but live in Newcastle.

Default Summer 2007 - 60 Day Roadtrip!?

Hey guys and gals,
    I'm english, a friend and I (or three friends maybe) are planning a roadtrip to the states over the summer.

We will leave around end of June and finish early September. I have family in Montvale, NJ, so we'll spend a few days there at the beginning and end of the trip.

The only criteria we really have is that we need to leave and finish in Montvale NJ. We'll have about 60 days.

We have no idea where to start, where to stay, how much to budget, routes, must see sights etc.

We need advice covering all aspects of the trip. We have a very tight budget with being Uni students. We will probably be renting a car.

So help us!

Québec, Montreal, Arizona, California, France

Default What's your style?

Hi Felix and Welcome to the RTA Forum!

We have no idea where to start, where to stay, how much to budget, routes, must see sights etc.
    First of all, you should try to figure out what kind of a trip you would like, in other words what's your roadtrip style? Would you like to do a speed run and visit the most states or do you prefer to take it slow and visit the most attractions on the way? Are you beach bums? Big cities people? Do you like small towns? National Parks? Museums? Do you mind camping, hostelling, couch surfing? Tell us more about yourselves and we will be able to help you with the rest. Also, check out our Road Trip Planning section.

We need advice covering all aspects of the trip. We have a very tight budget with being Uni students. We will probably be renting a car.
    Here's an article on how to stretch your budget on the road. For car rental information, visit out International visitors page or search the forums. It's a very common topic.

a friend and I (or three friends maybe) are planning a roadtrip to the states over the summer
    How about a compatibility quiz for you and your friends?

Happy planning!
    Gen

Thanks for the help, I will look through them!

There are so many places we want to visit, so we thought we could drive around the edge of the US. Appears thats gonna take some serious driving! So we have scaled down, we want a balance of nature and big cities to explore the culture and night life as well as small towns to get a taste of traditional america that so many tourists miss.

So key places to go:- (as far as I'm concerned, we are going to meet up soon and talk in more detail but we are currently on other sides of the country).

- Major cities (1/4 of time)
    - Some but not much Beach Time
    - Country - wildlife, national parks (1/4 of time)
    - Small towns
    - Nightlife
    - Culture
    - Architecture (thats what I'm studying at Uni)

I'm not much of a museum guy, but think the others would be interested in dropping in if the opportunity arose.
    If we could join all this together with some amazing driving roads that would be fantastic as I'm a bit of a car nut!

Specifically and with some difficulty we are looking for Rental for 18 and 19 y/os.
    We originally wanted something traditionally big and american like a Dodge Charger but we are now finding it hard that we'll take pretty much anything.

If you know of any companies it would be great, I have a family member in NJ looking for me with little success.
    We'll pay up to and around $1000 a month for the the rental.

Accomodation wise, we will stay pretty much anywhere, not really fussed, we will have seen worse. Believe me.
    So camping is good, hostels good, anything nicer great! Anything worse like the back of a car is bareable for a night or two!
    Thank you!
    Last edited by FELIX_NCL; 10-17-2006 at 03:34 AM.

Man, I wish I had 2 months for a roadtrip.

I visited all 48 states, covering 12,500 miles in less than 28 days, but my roadtrip was more of a "speed run." We never stayed anywhere longer than 18 hours, although we did manage to catch the highlights of our nation. I think you'll want to spend more time looking at things than we did.

I think one of the most important aspects for me in a roadtrip is to never hit the same place twice. In other words, never drive the same highway if you can help it. I'm a big fan of making circles or loops. With the kind of time you have, this is definitely feasible.

If you're starting in June, I'd probably work my way in a clockwise fashion, hitting the southern parts of the U.S. before the full brunt of the summer sun takes hold. It'll be hot regardless, but the humidity gets pretty hectic in late July/early August, especially in the South, so you'll want to have moved on by then if you go down there.

For a budget? I was the ultimate cheapskate on my trip (although I had a friend to help with costs.) For us, 28 days cost $3500. That's broken down into $1000 rental, $1300 gas, $500 lodging (I had some free overnighters with family/friends), $500 dining, and $200 miscellaneous (attraction fees and souvenirs). My friend put in $1000 for the rental and gas since he was just along for the ride, so it was ultimately $2500 for myself. Be sure to keep an itemized list of everything you purchase.

For lodging, my favorite was MicroTel, which were cheap and always had free high-speed internet. 2-bed non-smoking rooms during the week were usually $60-80 night, although they will go up on weekends, and they will skyrocket if there's an important event going on nearby, sometimes up to $250/night, so make sure nothing is happening in the time/place you want to lodge.

We rented a minivan with DVD and A/V inputs for the iPod. I had a connection with my rental, which is why it was very cheap for me. 29 days for $1029 (that includes loss/damage waiver) is what I got. You'll probably have to spend a little more to get this kind of rental. And you'll definitely want the loss/damage waiver because things can and do happen, and you'll want to be covered.

That's all I can think of right now. I'm on a 4500-mile roadtrip through the western U.S. right now, so I'm in and out of these forums for a while. If you have other questions, feel free to ask, and of course, check out the link I provided. It's a first-hand experience of an extended roadtrip and it covers a basic summary of where we went. Maybe you'll want to visit them too.

Good luck!

Québec, Montreal, Arizona, California, France

Default Endless possibilities

- Major cities (1/4 of time)
    North east : Boston, NYC, Baltimore, Philadelphia, Washington, D.C., Montreal, Toronto, Detroit, ...
    Midwest : Chicago, Nashville, St. Louis, Indianapolis, ...
    South : Atlanta, Miami, New Orleans, Houston, Dallas, ...
    South west : Phoenix, L.A., San Francisco, ...
    North west : Seattle, Vancouver, Portland, Salt Lake City...

- Some but not much Beach Time
    Maine seacoast, South Beach Miami, Key West, Cape Hatteras, New Brunswick, South Padre Island TX, San Diego, Venice, Santa Monica, ...

- Country - wildlife, national parks (1/4 of time)
    Banff, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Bryce Canyon, Zion National Park, Big Bend, Blue Ridge Parkway, White Mountains, Arches NP, Canyonlands, Monument Valley, Antelope Canyon, White Sands...

- Small towns
    Moab (UT), Newberry Springs (CA), Torrington (WY), Knowlton (QC), Burlington (VT), La Mesilla (NM), Ely (NV), ...

- Nightlife
    Atlanta, New Orleans, Savannah, Miami, L.A., San Francisco, Las Vegas, Dallas, Montreal, Toronto, Chicago, NYC, ...

- Culture
    Detroit Institute of Arts, Chicago Art Institute, Smithsonian Washington DC, Hemingway House, City Lights Bookstore San Francisco, Metropolitan NYC, ...

- Architecture (thats what I'm studying at Uni)
    Savannah, Charleston, Wiliamsburg, Quebec City, San Francisco, Taliesin West Scottsdale, Chicago Athenaeum, MIT Museum, New Orleans' French Quarter, Boston,...

I could go on and on...You'll have tough decisions to make, narrowing down all those endless possibilities!

Specifically and with some difficulty we are looking for Rental for 18 and 19 y/os.
    Most rental companies will charge you an extra if you're under 25. If I were you, I would make sure to have written consent from your parents so you can show it to whoever asks for it. I've traveled by myself even since I was 16 and never had any trouble but nowadays some places tend to ask for ID and may refuse to let you stay there if you are under 21. Funny, I am 25 and I now I get carded for cigarettes sometimes (which are 18+ most of the time):o))lol

If you know of any companies it would be great, I have a family member in NJ looking for me with little success.
    Is that person an American citizen? Have you thought about making that person buy a car. Maybe it would be easier for you.

Good luck!
    Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Gen View Post
    [B]-

Is that person an American citizen? Have you thought about making that person buy a car. Maybe it would be easier for you.

Good luck!
    Gen
    There not keen on doing this. I was thinking if we bought something for about $5k split between 4 of us. If we bought wise we could probably sell it easily for $4k 2 months later. But they don't want to do it.

How much would insurance be / how would I arrange it?