1. Default No Hotels for Me!

My friend and I are planning a summer a road trip. We've never done this before, but we have a some pretty clear ideas on what we want to happen. We are sure that we want to lodge with real people in real houses along the way. Has anyone done a road trip this way? Do you have any suggestions as to how we can plan for this kind of housing for our trip?

Default A couple of ideas

Quote Originally Posted by la_morena View Post
    My friend and I are planning a summer a road trip.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    We've never done this before, but we have a some pretty clear ideas on what we want to happen. We are sure that we want to lodge with real people in real houses along the way.
    That is the one option that would never occur to me (as a #1 preference) but if you belong to any sort of club or university alumni organization, they often can arrange such arrangements. Plus there are companies who handle the set-up for a fee. One of these is Holitrade and if you ask for Damien Priest, he might be able to help you.

Mark
    Last edited by Quebec Gen; 10-15-2006 at 09:07 AM. Reason: fixed broken link

Québec, Montreal, Arizona, California, France

Default Bed & Breakfasts & Couch surfing

La Morena,

We are sure that we want to lodge with real people in real houses along the way. Has anyone done a road trip this way? Do you have any suggestions as to how we can plan for this kind of housing for our trip?
    I see 2 lodging possibilities for you :

1) Bed & Breakfasts, it is one of my favourite type of lodging because you get to meet a lot of different people from different backgrounds (very popular among Europeans) and most of the time the breakfasts are homemade and delicious -- better than any continental breakfast they might serve in hotel chains anyway. I've been to very few B&B's in the US since they can be pricy, but I've stayed in them all over Eastern Canada and over the years had only one bad experience (unfriendly host). If you search the internet, you'll find plenty of B&B directories.

2) Couch Surfing, I never did it but I heard a lot of great things about it. Basically, people offer a place to stay for free. In exchange, you share your travel stories, you can help with the chores, meet all kind of people. It is the ultimate Bohemian-style type of lodging and you definitely have to be open-minded and ready for all casualties. Since you'll be sleeping for free at someone's house they have absolute control over the guests : who they want, many of them will want to meet you first, etc.

Gen