Thread: Yellowstone

Default Yellowstone

Hi everyone

Just thought I write a quick report to say that today we were meant to be driving from Teton Village, Jackson Hole throught Grand Teton NP up to The Old Faithful Snow Lodge in Yellowstone but we weren't able to make it. The rangers in Teton NP said that Yellowstone had had about 2 feet of snow and that one road had been closed (and would remain so for the season) and the others were only passable with snow tyres or a 4WD. All non-essential travel was being discouraged.

The forecast for tomorrow is slightly better so we are staying another night in Jackson and keeping our fingers crossed - Yellowstone was supposed to be the highlight of our trip!

Julia

Default Brrrrrrrrrrrr

Quote Originally Posted by jw133 View Post
    Just thought I write a quick report to say that today we were meant to be driving from Teton Village, Jackson Hole throught Grand Teton NP up to The Old Faithful Snow Lodge in Yellowstone but we weren't able to make it. The rangers in Teton NP said that Yellowstone had had about 2 feet of snow and that one road had been closed (and would remain so for the season) and the others were only passable with snow tyres or a 4WD. All non-essential travel was being discouraged.
    Yikes, that is early for such a snow storm. Thanks for the current intel.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    Yikes, that is early for such a snow storm. Thanks for the current intel.

Mark
    I know - I didn't think that we would have any problems with snow on our trip at this time of the year. We're going to try again tomorrow to see if we can get through otherwise it looks like quite a long trip for us to get to our next stop which is Cody.

Default What are you doing in Cody?

I know - I didn't think that we would have any problems with snow on our trip at this time of the year. We're going to try again tomorrow to see if we can get through otherwise it looks like quite a long trip for us to get to our next stop which is Cody.
    Julia, Are you going to the Draper natural history museum and Whitney Gallery exhibits? One of our long-time photo contributors lives in Cody and knows the area quite well, (and I was born there...)

Mark

Julia, Are you going to the Draper natural history museum and Whitney Gallery exhibits? One of our long-time photo contributors lives in Cody and knows the area quite well, (and I was born there...)

Mark
    Hadn't heard of either of those two, although I have to say probably not. Museums just aren't really our thing to be honest. I have to say, quietly and a little embarrassed, that we are more into the cheesy touristy things, as well as seeing the wonderful scenery.

We're planning on staying in a log cabin in Cody so that will be a highlight for us!

Default Oh no! Say it aint so!

Hadn't heard of either of those two, although I have to say probably not. Museums just aren't really our thing to be honest. I have to say, quietly and a little embarrassed, that we are more into the cheesy touristy things,
    OK, I can understand the cheesy touristy stuff and the magnifcent scenery -- but if you have any interest in amazing cowboy-themed sculptures -- you have got to go to Whitney Gallery. The Whitney is in a complex of five incredible museums in the Buffalo Bill Historical Center -- here is a link to the over-all directory I just can't imagine traveling all the way to Cody and not seeing the sculptures.

Mark

Default The Irma and a few more

We're planning on staying in a log cabin in Cody so that will be a highlight for us!
    OK, a couple of other must-sees in Cody. Belly up to the bar at the Irma Hotel -- Buffalo Bill built this place in 1902 and it is still pretty cool. On the west side of town -- out by the rodeo grounds is the Old Trail Town -- several buildings in varying stages of restoration -- pretty cool for photos -- BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE CEMETERY. There are a bunch of legendary folks bured there including Jeremiah Johnson and Phillip Vetter who was mauled by a grizzly and survived for a short while.

Cassie's Supper Club has good food and a checkered past....

Mark

Default We'll check 'em all out!

OK, a couple of other must-sees in Cody. Belly up to the bar at the Irma Hotel -- Buffalo Bill built this place in 1902 and it is still pretty cool. On the west side of town -- out by the rodeo grounds is the Old Trail Town -- several buildings in varying stages of restoration -- pretty cool for photos -- BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE CEMETERY. There are a bunch of legendary folks bured there including Jeremiah Johnson and Phillip Vetter who was mauled by a grizzly and survived for a short while.

Cassie's Supper Club has good food and a checkered past....

Mark
    Thanks Mark!!! You really are a fountain of useful info!! Will definitely be checking out the Buffalo Bill Hist Centre so will be sure to look in on the Whitney Gallery. The Irma Hotel and Old Trail Town sound like fun too - you said the magic word "photos" so am sure my boyfriend will be there with bells on!!!

9. Default

the middle of Oct. isnt early for snow at 8,000 ft above sea level. At Glacier NP, theyve gotten FEET of snow in AUGUST. Same with the Beartooth Mountain, which are maybe 100 miles from Yellowstone, just east.

Buffalo, NY, which is under 1,000 ft above sea level, just got a foot of snow a week ago. Winter comes early when youre up north or up in the mountains.