1. Default philly to california over a summer

Hey, two friends and myself are traveling all across the United States this upcoming summer. We will be leaving from our homes in Philadelphia and traveling to some really random places. We are all 21 and on pace to graduate college in the winter of 07. We figure this is really our last chance to do something of this nature and we decided it would be silly to let something like this pass us by. Being a journalist, I have worked out a deal with the newspaper I work with to run something about it a few time a week. As in where we've been, what we did and so forth. Therefore I was looking for good bars (we are just 21), college towns (to post shorts for the paper), hostels (we are college poor), and anything else you can tell us about the following cities:

This is our direct route we will be taking:

1. Philadelphia, Pa to Vermont
    2. Vermont to Chicago, IL
    3. Chicago, IL to Myrtle Beach, SC
    4. Myrtle Beach, SC to Nashville, TN
    5. Nashville, TN to Key West, FL
    6. Key West, FL to New Orleans, LA
    7. New Orleans, LA to San Antonio, TX
    8. San Antonio, TX to Phoenix, AZ
    9. Phoenix, AZ to Aspen, CO
    10. Aspen, CO to Las Vegas, NV
    11. Las Vegas, NV to Hollywood, CA

Default Have you purchased a map?

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

How long do you plan on this trip lasting, and how did you come up with this route? I ask because there is a whole lot of zig-zagging that is going to add a lot of miles, money, and time to your trip.

In terms of the areas you plan to visit, I can tell you there are 3 Hostels in Chicago, and Madison, Wi or Champaign, IL would be two good college towns to visit in that area.

3. Default motive for the zig-zag

Midwest Michael,
    Thanks for the reply. Allow me to explain the zig-zagging we're doing. Since there is three of us, we decided that we would each get three cities to pick that we have always wanted to visit. Las Vegas was a group decision, as was the entire state of California. We plan on leaving in late May and getting to California sometime in July.
    We are then staying in California for a month or so before trekking back to Philly. We tried to map the route according to proximity to one another the best we could. We are going to try to save up to somewhere around $4000 apiece for the trip. We may even look into part time jobs with a contact we have in California to hold us over while we are there.

Default A map may still be in order...

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I still don't see the logic in your route. The cities themselves are fine, its just to get between them, you're going east then west, then back southeast, then west, southeast again, then northwest, then west, then northeast, and then southwest. Its just kind of all over the place, and adds a lot of seemingly needless miles.

I think it would make a lot more sense if you hit all of the East Coast and Southern States (VT, SC, FL, NOLA, TX, AZ) on your way to California, and then hit your more Central States (NV, CO, TN, IL) on your way back home (or vise-versa). I think it would not only give you a lot more time to explore those places, but also enjoy the things that are between them.

Default A map may still be in order...

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I still don't see the logic in your route. The cities themselves are fine, its just to get between them, you're going east then west, then back southeast, then west, southeast again, then northwest, then west, then northeast, and then southwest. Its just kind of all over the place, and adds a lot of seemingly needless miles.

I think it would make a lot more sense if you hit all of the East Coast and Southern States (VT, SC, FL, NOLA, TX, AZ) on your way to California, and then hit your more Central States (NV, CO, TN, IL) on your way back home (or vise-versa). I think it would not only give you a lot more time to explore those places, but also enjoy the things that are between them.