1. Default Help w/ Short East Coast Trip

Myself and three friends are going to spend the week of spring break on a road trip along the east coast this coming year. For some reason Philadelphia is the main destination of the trip. We will start in Columbia, SC, drive to and spend a day in Philadelphia. From Philly, we will head to Pittsburgh and Cincinnati. From Cincy, we will head to to Louisville, Nashville, and then travel back to Columbia on I-26. We will have about a week to spend on the trip in March of 2007. I personally have never travelled north of NC or west of LA, and the same can be said for two of my friends and we are honestly just jealous of 4 friends that just made a cross-country trip from San Diego to Charleston, SC and want to see some more of the country. If you know of anything we should visit along the way, or can suggest a city in the vicinity of this route, please do. Additionally, please keep in mind that we are college students, so any money saving tips would be appreciated. Thanks

Default Lots of budget travelers here

Quote Originally Posted by jershaw03 View Post
    Myself and three friends are going to spend the week of spring break on a road trip along the east coast
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    For some reason Philadelphia is the main destination of the trip.
    What is that reason? Since you have some significant miles scheduled for this trip, I would suggest that you have your companions take this quiz and discuss the results to make sure you are all on the same page!
    We will start in Columbia, SC, drive to and spend a day in Philadelphia.
    That first day is nearly 630 miles and you will be hard-pressed to cover that distance is less than 14 hours due to the expected traffic and construction delays in that area. This trip will alone qualify as a Speed Run and I urge you to read this article and follow our tips!
    From Philly, we will head to Pittsburgh and Cincinnati.
    Yikes! Another long day -- 588 miles and you have to take some time to enjoy Pittsburgh so this will be an easy 14-hour day! I think you may get the idea here.
    I personally have never travelled north of NC or west of LA, and the same can be said for two of my friends
    It all sounds like a great adventure.

Lots of budget tips here.

Enjoy the planning!

Mark

Default Time

Keep in mind, too that the weather at that time of year in several of those cities can be iffy. Spring tends not to start in some places until the middle of April or even May, and, generally, Spring break is in mid-March. I'm thinking Philadelphia and Pittsburgh could still be in the grips of the cold. Of course, Mother Nature always has a trick up her sleeve.

Still, both Philly and Pittsburgh are very interesting places and you could easily spend the whole week just exploring those environs. In Cincinnati you can hike all the stairways strewn about the city.

Depending on how you time your drives, you could potentially miss much of the traffic just but travelling outside of normal commute times. The East has some pretty notorious traffic, especially around Washington, DC should you head by there.

If it weren't for the designation of main destination, I would suggest cutting Philly out of this trip and concentrating on the other locales so you can spend more time enjoying them.

Default More Info Please

I am really not understanding which routes you are taking. Could you please post? There are quite a few interesting things to see around Louisville, such as Colonel Sanders grave, but I'm not sure which way you are heading in or out.

No trip to Nashville is complete without going to the Grand Ole Opry, of course.

Please post which highways you are planning to take.

Thanks

Trish